Possible to set up FreeNAS 8.x on VMWare and move to a real computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklyn

Dabbler
I'm having some major difficulties with my only Windows 8 machine properly seeing mapped network drives after bootup on my FreeNAS 0.7.2 machine. I've done a significant amount of research but still no clear answer (problem described here if interested).

I'm considering 'upgrading' FreeNAS 0.7.2 to the latest 8.x stable version.

My question: Can I create a VMware environment, install/configure FreeNAS 8.x, and when it's running the way I want it, move it to a hard drive and replace the hard drive in my current FreeNAS machine with my pre-configured 8.x FreeNAS?
If this is possible, can anyone provide any basic guidance (steps) so I don't overlook something during this endeavor?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, FreeNAS 8 prefers to be installed to a USB stick. So if you have a 4GB+ USB stick you can simply install FreeNAS play with it, and if you don't like it simply remove the USB stick. Far easier than playing with hard drives in a VM. :P

Before you go doing weird and crazy things since you are clearly new to FreeNAS 8, PLEASE read the manual. It really is well written and will give you lots of info that will point you in the right direction going forward.

marklyn

Dabbler
I started reading the manual. Thanks.
One more question regarding using a USB stick.
If I install FreeNAS 8 on a USB stick, can I boot up with that usb stick from another of my home networked computers without interfering in any way with my headless FreeNAS 0.7.2 box? My goal is to be able to boot up with v FreeNAS 8.x and set up the same CIFS shares to see if my Windows 8 box will then properly connect to them when it is booted up. Sound like a reasonable and safe plan?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You won't be able to setup shares without mounting a UFS or ZFS drive first.

marklyn

Dabbler
This is not obvious to me in the manual, so I'll ask...
Will it be possible for me to mount UFS drives (just like I have them mounted in 0.7.2), set up the same two shares, all with 0.7.2 still running on my other machine or should I power down 0.7.2 while I'm congifuring/testing 8.x? I just don't want to mess anything up and I do have a full data backup just in case.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's what I'd do. Install FreeNAS 8 to a spare USB stick. Shutdown your FreeNAS 0.7.2 and bootup from your USB stick. Do your share setup and test it out how you like. If at any reason you are unsatisfied with FreeNAS 8 or the workday demands that your old shares work, simply shutdown FreeNAS8 and bootup from FreeNAS 0.7.2.

As for your question about "just like I have them mounted in 0.7.2" I have no clue how FreeNAS 0.7.2 mounts stuff. Never used it and FreeNAS 8 is a complete rewrite with all new developers. I know that FreeNAS 8s GUI is totally different than FreeNAS7.

FreeNAS8 is designed to be modular though. The USB stick is the "key", pun not intended. The FreeNAS configuration is kept on the USB stick exclusively(with the exception of your file permissions, naturally). Your data should be completely safe while you experiment with FreeNAS 8. The only thing I wouldn't do is play with permissions on your UFS drive. I'd create the users/groups to match your current settings on the UFS drive. ;)

marklyn

Dabbler
Excellent advice. Thanks. I will continue to read the manual. Lots of new stuff for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.