Best raid 4x4tb

alex87alex

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
I have an HP Microserver gen10 with 16gb ram, 4x4tb Seagate, an ssd for the system and a 10gb card and I want to install truenas, so my question is:

What is the best raid configuration in your opinion?
Actually I have truenas with 6x4tb on raid-z2 but I want to disassembly this becouse I don't need so much space and I have to sell the nas (hp ml10 gen9).

You have to consider that actually I have a vm with truenas with a single 8tb disk that is a replication server for the nas, I'll keep it, so I could consider a raid-z1...

What do you think? raid-z1 or raid-z2? Mirror?

Help me please
Thank you very much

ornias

Wizard
Only use Raidz1 if you would be okey with a stripe (no redundancy).
With 4x4, you are basically limited to striped mirrors.

danb35

Hall of Famer
With 4x4, you are basically limited to striped mirrors.
Well, you could use RAIDZ2 instead. Redundancy would be better that way. But I think I'd agree that mirrors would be the way to go.

ornias

Wizard
Well, you could use RAIDZ2 instead. Redundancy would be better that way. But I think I'd agree that mirrors would be the way to go.
Statistically speaking the redundancy is worse using RAIDZ2, definately now Mirrors have sequential rebuild and Raidz doesn't... or on par, depending on the viewpoint, who you ask and when you ask them. xD

danb35

Hall of Famer
I was thinking of the ability to lose any two disks without data loss in RAIDZ2--with mirrors, if the wrong two disks go, the pool is lost. But yes, resilvers on mirrors are faster, which offsets this (at least to a degree).

alex87alex

Dabbler
Thank you for reply!

I'm not so skilled with zfs so I created a testing vm. Is this the correct configuration for striped mirror? Thank you

2020-12-31 12_03_29-TrueNAS - 172.18.66.93.png

alex87alex

Dabbler
I was thinking of the ability to lose any two disks without data loss in RAIDZ2--with mirrors, if the wrong two disks go, the pool is lost. But yes, resilvers on mirrors are faster, which offsets this (at least to a degree).
Performance-side striped mirrors have better performance (speed transfers) comparison with raidz2?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't believe striped mirrors are any better for sequential transfers than RAIDZ2, but more vdevs -> more IOPS.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't believe striped mirrors are any better for sequential transfers than RAIDZ2, but more vdevs -> more IOPS.
Read should be a little faster also because your can read from both mirrored hdds. But really iops is what's important.