Basic Question on Moving Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKK

Dabbler
This is a pretty basic question. If I move a FreeNAS server from one home to another the IP address will of course be different. So when it is located on the new network what do I need to do to get it up and running? Are there any configuration steps or simply turn it on and connect to it.

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Change the IP address of the server.

If you have plugins/jails, you will probably have to configure new IP addresses for them, and possibly edit each of their /etc/resolv.conf files depending on how you configured your server. The name servers listed in the file should be that of either your router IP address or a public DNS server IP like that of Google's (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4)

NightHawk.ATL

Dabbler
Easiest thing to do would be to configure the new network to fit what you already have on the server. That is, if everything is configured with private IPs and not public statics or anything. 90-95% of other devices on any network are DHCP and will be able to accept a new network easier.

I learned a long time ago, whatever is the most central device and most important, configure your network around that and what already works. I spent 2 weeks trying to get a multi-room automation system back to 100% after the homeowner decided to switch ISPs and had his tech work on the system and broke it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glorious1

Guru
I would think if the new LAN has the same 3 first numbers in the local IP addresses (sorry I don't know the right terminology, but mine are 192.168.0.###), you wouldn't have to do anything.

If they are different, and assuming your server and jails set their own local IP, then you would have to change those 3 numbers in the FreeNAS GUI to match the new local network.

Status
Not open for further replies.