A thanks and Basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

theman1

Dabbler
Setup my freenas server and it has been running flawlessly… thanks for everyone’s help on picking the hardware and also on the guides for how to flash the controller card!

^^Can’t stress this enough.. one of the few communities I’ve seen that will rather repeat an answer and help a person out more as opposed to just saying search for it.. it’s been asked a million times

My setup- 8x3TB’s in Z2, SUPERMICRO X10SL7-F, 16 GB EEC RAMHad

some basic questions, any answers would be appreciated-

I will be moving pretty soon and was curious how this will affect the ip of the box. I didn’t map the IP or do anything special after the initial setup. I just installed freenas and used the ip it told me to. How will I access this box when it’s plugged into my new network? Will it just be the same IP?

How important is scrubbing? My server is mostly used for storing large movie files so not much change. Is this something that should be done once a week, or just whenever a large amount of data is changed?

Also how important is a freenas backup? Does it just backup jails and plugins or does it also backup more important information that will be needed in the future?

Lastly I searched up on the 80% of space used rule and was getting mixed responses. In my case, do I need to follow this rule? If I don’t does the performance drastically decrease? Or could I lose the entire Volume and data with it?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You have two options for the IP adddress: Make a DHCP reservation so that the same IP is always leased by the server OR use a static IP on the server.

A typical scrub schedule is one every two weeks, with SMART long tests on the empty weeks.

You're strongly urged to stay below 80% - the effects vary, but are never pleasant.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also how important is a freenas backup? Does it just backup jails and plugins or does it also backup more important information that will be needed in the future?
FreeNAS doesn't have any backup facility built in to it, so the answer to this would depend entirely on how you did the backup. When you download the config file, it contains all your settings from the web GUI, including the existence and location of any jails/plugins, but it doesn't contain any data from your pool (including the contents of any of your jails). You're encouraged to save a copy of your config file because USB flash drives are notoriously unreliable. The importance of backing up anything else will depend on how important it is to you, how safe it is on your FreeNAS box, and how difficult it would be to replace it.

theman1

Dabbler
Would it work if I hooked up to the new network then used ipmiview to discover the new servers ip? or no?

danb35

Hall of Famer
IPMIView will discover the IP address of the IPMI interface, but I don't believe it will find the server's other interfaces. However, once you've found the IPMI address, you can log in and use the IPMI console to see what address has been assigned to the main interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.