Badblocks run because of a few pending sectors.. What do I with this information

LtHaus

Dabbler
So as the title indicates... I had 2 disks with pending bad sectors... so I swapped and let Badblocks run....
Code:
root@freenas:~ # badblocks -wsv -c 4096 /dev/da5
Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode
From block 0 to 3907018583
Testing with pattern 0xaa: set_o_direct: Inappropriate ioctl for device
done
Reading and comparing: done
Testing with pattern 0x55: done
Testing with pattern 0xff: done
Testing with pattern 0x00: done
Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found. (0/0/0 errors)

What now? are we to the trust but keep an eye on them or should I suspect them to fail right away? Does Badblocks map things and avoid bad sectors?

I'm learning but these are my current Noob questions..
Thanks!

Last edited:

MikeyG

Patron
Unless I'm missing something, the disk appears to be fine in this test. Badblocks tests the entire disks for bad sectors, so if the disk comes out of the test ok, it should be good for service. Why would it fail right away? I'm assuming it was a different disk that reported pending sectors, and this was the test done on the new disk?

Last edited:

LtHaus

Dabbler
The 2 disks were previously flagging with 3 and 7 pending sector errors. so I replaced them in the pool and now that they are free I was able to run badblocks on them. So slightly suspect but if Badblocks is a valid scan and to be trusted I will use them for the replication side of the setup.
thank you..

MikeyG

Patron
Ah, I see! If the disks reported pending sector errors, but badblocks passed, I personally would keep using them if I had sufficient redundancy in the pool, had backups, it wasn't a commercial system, and I couldn't just replace them in warranty for free (or cost of shipping). My understanding is that badblocks is pretty comprehensive as it writes and reads to the entire disk multiple times. I think that disks are supposed to mark pending sectors as bad, and then keep then operating. My worry is that once there are bad sectors, there could be an underlying issue that could crop up later. Again, I think further action would be determined by your acceptable level of risk. Might want to run long SMART tests on them just to be sure as well.

This page has some interesting info on what pending sectors mean and how serious they are: https://harddrivegeek.com/current-pending-sector-count/

LtHaus

Dabbler
I'll check that. I run the Short test daily and the long test once a week. So far everything has passed those.