Backups, UPS on R710

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASr710

Explorer
So finally got my NAS up and running. I am starting to store things there. Starting to look at my backup requirements. I have two 8TB RED NAS WDs, mirrored. I was planning on getting a cheaper 8TB drive for the backup. https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barr...49995&sr=8-3&keywords=8tb+internal+hard+drive

I am running FreeNAS off a Dell r710 so i was going to use one of the empty trays to backup, and then take it off site. Do it once or twice per month. I looked at external drives but I don't believe the r710 has USB3.

Second question is if anyone has any recommendation for a not too expensive (100-150$) UPS for the R710. I have never used an UPS before so a little green there. I currently have two r710s running. The second one I am using as camera server running ubuntu and zoneminder; though I have thought about running windows and blueiris in a jail off just one box to save on energy.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with a Barracuda in my book. Some may differ on that, but I use them for my primary storage pool instead of spending the extra money on NAS drives and I have not had bad service from them. Just last year I replaced a batch that had been running for 5 years.

As for the UPS, I usually buy APC brand but I have heard good things about these and I might try one next time I shop for a UPS myself:
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have never used an UPS before so a little green there.
PS. The thing to watch for is the number of watts. That UPS I linked to is rated to carry a 900 watt load, but it will only do that for a very short time, possibly not long enough for FreeNAS to cleanly shutdown. My server is only pulling around 270 watts normally, but I got a big UPS like this to allow it to have enough time to shutdown if the power goes out.
Don't forget to setup the UPS monitoring utility in FreeNAS.
http://doc.freenas.org/11/services.html?highlight=ups#ups

NASr710

Explorer
Thanks Chris. helpful. A review on Amazon stated they used the 1500VA on an R710 and it lasted about an hour. Costco has the 1350VA/ 810Watt version for $100. I might start with that. If it is not big enough, i can upgrade and use the smaller one on other stuff (wanted to add UPS for my VOIP box, Modem, switch, and firewall).

NASr710

Explorer
@flashpoint Thank you, but it seems like it is little more than I am hoping to spend. I am a little confused if batteries are included or not, there is a checkbox that says "without battery (as default)". If battery is not included, then it adds to price.

So finally got my NAS up and running. I am starting to store things there. Starting to look at my backup requirements. I have two 8TB RED NAS WDs, mirrored. I was planning on getting a cheaper 8TB drive for the backup. https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barr...49995&sr=8-3&keywords=8tb+internal+hard+drive

I am running FreeNAS off a Dell r710 so i was going to use one of the empty trays to backup, and then take it off site. Do it once or twice per month. I looked at external drives but I don't believe the r710 has USB3.

Second question is if anyone has any recommendation for a not too expensive (100-150$) UPS for the R710. I have never used an UPS before so a little green there. I currently have two r710s running. The second one I am using as camera server running ubuntu and zoneminder; though I have thought about running windows and blueiris in a jail off just one box to save on energy.

For the ups, you server has single or dual power supply? This is important to make calculations on ups. I think you will need to invest a little more on a ups that holds well the server. The power supply are 750w or more?

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI NXT-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I've seen this on Reddit couple of days ago they seem to sell reasonably priced UPSs: https://www.fs.com/c/ups-power-supply-3260
Those are the larger UPS systems that might be used in a data center, I saw one that was three phase, and the price is a bit higher than what you would be looking for.
The unit from Costco is probably fine for what you want.
Just keep an eye on the amount of things plugged in so you don't have it overloaded.
More load makes the runtime less. I like to have 30 minutes or more for runtime so that I can wait out a short power outage without needing to shutdown.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

NASr710

Explorer
@Guillermo Araya I have dual 570W "energy smart" power supplies on both. Though I am currently only using one to cut down on power consumption.

@Chris Moore I would probably program them to shut down if there is power outage. Though security camera would be good to keep running as much as possible. As I mentioned, we are in the city and have buried power lines. When power goes out, it is usually on a beautiful day (not during storm, snow or other bad weather) and it is usually out for a good amount of time (2 to 6 hours). Outages are usually due to equipment failure, or work on the lines.

We have solar but have not yet looked at getting a battery backup and emergency switchover to retain power via solar during outage. That would be ideal. Come to think of it, maybe I should spend my money there instead.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
We have solar but have not yet looked at getting a battery backup and emergency switchover to retain power via solar during outage. That would be ideal. Come to think of it, maybe I should spend my money there instead.
If you could get enough solar capacity to charge batteries that would hold you over the night or cloudy days, you could run the server completely off-grid. Probably best to have a grid connection though, just in case the weather is bad and you can't charge the batteries. I have thought of doing this, but where I live, you can't sell excess generation back to the power company. They actually make it quite a pain to implement solar at all.

NASr710

Explorer
We can't sell either, but we get a credit that expires within a year. Battery technology is changing everything.

Here is a good video that talks about how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWgnPxRAyU&feature=youtu.be But you are looking at roughly $10-11,000 for a basic system. That is a lot of money. I think I will stick with UPS for now :)

Alternatively, I need to see if I can simply shut off connection to grid during power loss and use solar. But I would imagine that it would not be stable power and could potentially cause damage to equipment and appliances.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I've seen this on Reddit couple of days ago they seem to sell reasonably priced UPSs: https://www.fs.com/c/ups-power-supply-3260
Don't get me wrong, FS (Fiber Supply) is great. They have a lot of hardware that is top notch and at very competitive prices, but those double conversion UPS units are a little on the overkill side for most folks in home use.

NASr710

Explorer
2016, we paid $30 for power. This year it was a lot more... $150 for the year. I think that may be due to the R710 running 24/7. Water bill is what really kills us. In DC, they are hitting us hard with all sorts of extra taxes, handling, shipping, inspection, verification, rain, plumbing main, permeable area fees.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Alternatively, I need to see if I can simply shut off connection to grid during power loss and use solar. But I would imagine that it would not be stable power and could potentially cause damage to equipment and appliances.
I looked into it once before and they make an auto transfer switch, kind of like what you would use for a generator backup, that would switch you over to the solar system.
This year it was a lot more... $150 for the year.
What? For the YEAR? I pay almost twice that each month. Maybe I should reconsider getting some solar gear.

Last edited:

NASr710

Explorer
Oooooooh Yeah. Solar is bad ass. Not only that, in DC we used to be able to sell the SRECs (Solar renewable energy credits) for $475 a pop; now they are down to $350 due to some loopholes the lobbyists were able to get the power company by bribing politicians. We would generate about 9 a year. Power companies would either buy them from us, or pay the penalty ($500) if they did not have renewable energy in their portfolio. System paid for itself within 3-4 years. Prices of panels have really gone down. Installation is expensive though.

With batteries and a wind turbine, you could probably easily be completely off the grid.

Side notes, most installer try convince you to sell them the SRECs for a low ball value. It takes all of 30min to an hour to post them and trade them just like a stock. SRECs depend on the state you live in. If you live in Republican state, they probably will not support solar. Sad really because it is non partisan issue. We did it not because of the green aspect (a nice plus, don't get me wrong), but because it made financial sense.

Added link to that previous post. sorry...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.