Replacing r710 with Dell i7 2600

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASr710

Explorer
So, I have been running FreeNAS off of a Dell r710. It is working well except that power consumption is pretty heavy. I have a second r710 that is running as a camera server, ubuntu server with zoneminder. Not crazy about ZM and have been looking at Blue Iris for a while. I use FreeNAS for basic file, photo, video storage. Was hoping to set up Plex server but have not yet gotten around to it. The video would be home videos, not movies.

Work is giving me an old Dell XPS with an i7, 2600, 3.4GHz processor and 16G of RAM.

In order to save on my electrical bill, was thinking of running Blue Iris off of FreeNAS to shelter everything on one machine. I tried jails before and had a little trouble with it so it would be a learning curve.

Can anyone give me some feedback on hardware if the i7 is sufficient to try this setup?

Thank you.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

NASr710

Explorer
The i7 2600 seems like a power hungry processor as well. Anyone know offhand what would be a good setup? I was hoping to reuse the H310.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not that much worse than latest-gen stuff.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I was hoping to reuse the H310
You can use this in almost every system we could suggest. Did you want a better suggestion? All i7 processors have no support for ECC memory which is a good idea to have for ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.