BATTERY/FATAL - Battery needs replacement - SOH Bad Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASr710

Explorer
Hi all.

So, I just finished setting up my FreeNAS box. Been playing with it for about a week and am figuring it out. I am new to NAS drives and do not do this for a living so it has been a learning curve.

I finally managed to set up email notifications. I received the following email:
Code:
Email subject: RAID status
85568 (Sat Nov 18 18:26:46 PST 2017/BATTERY/FATAL) - Battery needs replacement - SOH Bad
85592 (Mon Nov 20 02:30:26 PST 2017/BATTERY/FATAL) - Battery needs replacement - SOH Bad
85605 (Mon Nov 20 22:24:11 PST 2017/BATTERY/FATAL) - Battery needs replacement - SOH Bad

The other emails I have received from the NAS has subject that start with FreeNAS.local and this one did not.

Here is my setup:

Running latest FreeNAS on DELL R710 quad core single processor machine. I have two 500GB drives mirrored. I am doing a software raid and this machine did not come with a RAID battery. The bios battery is good and the machine does not give me any battery (only error i get is the second power supplies is not plugged in).

I am running a PFSense firewall on a duo core Dell desktop.

I also have on my network an R710 running Ubuntu server and Zoneminder for camera system. That system is set up with a Raid5 hardware raid and does have a RAID battery but it is iDrake reports it as a good battery. Bios battery is good too. This machine is not set up for email notifications.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't know what your SAS card is, but replace it before you go any further - see the Hardware Recommendations Guide for details (link in my sig).

NASr710

Explorer
Thanks. I started reading through it but will need more time. The R710 is currently running SAS 6/iR Integrated controller. It seems to be working but have just started playing with the machine and am still learning.

NASr710

Explorer
Reviewing the pictures I have, I actually also seem to have a Dell DM479 Perc 5e raid controller E2k-UCP-50. There is nothing connected to it. From images of this controller I have seen online, there is a battery attached to the back side.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Stux

MVP
Just connect the HDs to the motherboard SATA ports.

NASr710

Explorer
Thanks stux. But I would like to be able to use the drive bays in the front. I suppose I could do that for the OS drive. Currently I am using USB thumb drive.

I am looking into picking up h310. Since I can increase size of my drives, it is a no brainer. I will start a build thread.

But was still curious as to what this battery error is due to.

Status
Not open for further replies.