Backup storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

wissam

Dabbler
Hi everyone !!
I'd like to add a new backup storage plan to my server FreeNAS 11.0.
Actually the idea is about to add a new secondary server that would store the same DATA that is saved in my primary server.
The primary sever saves all my data and the data of the other users and i want at the same time that the secondary server saves this stored data on the primary server which is the FreeNAS 11.0
In case my primary server faces a bug or in case it just stopped working i'd like to access my data on the secondary server.
So is it possible for the second server to be also a FreeNAS 11.0 ?
Or should i use a framework that it is dedicated to continuous cloud backup ? if so some suggestions !! PLEASE
Thank YOU

Last edited by a moderator:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'd use ZFS replication to a second FreeNAS server. You will need to determine for yourself what is appropriate for your environment. For instance, replicating to a second FreeNAS server on the same local network in the same building does not protect you from fires. This may be acceptable for a home user, but not for a business user.

joeschmuck

Old Man
In case my primary server faces a bug or in case it just stopped working i'd like to acces my data on the secondary server.
Or should i use a framework that it is dedicated to continuous cloud backup ?
These two statements confuse me a bit, could be my ignorance. I would not expect a cloud based backup solution to be an available failover, I would expect the data would need to be downloaded to a server and then placed online for the users to access.

If you are looking for some sort of automatic failover to ensure the data is always present, I'm not sure if FreeNAS can do that between two servers running side by side and if one fails, the second is automatically the servicing server. I suspect there is additional hardware required for this operation. Again, I'm a bit ignorant in this area.

wissam

Dabbler
I'd use ZFS replication to a second FreeNAS server. You will need to determine for yourself what is appropriate for your environment. For instance, replicating to a second FreeNAS server on the same local network in the same building does not protect you from fires. This may be acceptable for a home user, but not for a business user.
actually in case i choose to have a second server it won't be at the same environment either at the same network it would be in a different city.
YOU said ZFS replication may be a good solution?

wissam

Dabbler
These two statements confuse me a bit, could be my ignorance. I would not expect a cloud based backup solution to be an available failover, I would expect the data would need to be downloaded to a server and then placed online for the users to access.

If you are looking for some sort of automatic failover to ensure the data is always present, I'm not sure if FreeNAS can do that between two servers running side by side and if one fails, the second is automatically the servicing server. I suspect there is additional hardware required for this operation. Again, I'm a bit ignorant in this area.

the main idea of FreeNAS is to obtain a virtual space where i can store data.
i'm trying to make a copy of that data in case the first copy got stolen or damaged.
it's like a server who's copying the work of another server. the second server is of course a virtual one in order to minimize the cost of buying hardware.
But is it possible? if so ... is it a good backup solution? what about performance?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think I understand what you are asking now. You want to know options for just a simple backup of all your FreeNAS data. You have two ways to go about this, your could backup to the cloud which there is a lot of discussion on the forums about that and costs can be very low per month, like $5 USD/month, or you could build a second FreeNAS machine and use Rsync to manage a remote backup. There are pros and cons to each method. From a business perspective I think I'd rather have a server, from a home use perspective I think the cloud makes more sense. Performance is one of those things you need to read about, I don't want to start another thread discussing the same thing that 20+ other threads have already beat with a stick until it was dead.

So read more of the forums (do a google search for something like "freenas backup cloud", you will find a lot of threads discussing cloud backups and Rsync backups.

wissam

Dabbler
I'll google "freenas backup cloud" and "Rsync backups".
My perspective is to conceive a backup plan for an organisation FreeNAS server.
Thanks a looooot

Status
Not open for further replies.