Backing up to Amazon Glacier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusky

Dabbler
I see a section for Cloud Credentials and the S3 service but I'm not having luck with either of them.

Has anyone gotten this working?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, the S3 service is intended to use your FreeNAS box as an S3 server, not as an S3 client, so it isn't what you're wanting to use. As to the cloud credentials, it would probably help if you shared exactly what's happening rather than just "I'm not having luck".

Rusky

Dabbler
Well, the S3 service is intended to use your FreeNAS box as an S3 server, not as an S3 client, so it isn't what you're wanting to use. As to the cloud credentials, it would probably help if you shared exactly what's happening rather than just "I'm not having luck".

Under System -> Cloud Credentials I added an account set the provider to Amazon S3 and entered my access and secret key but I'm not sure what to do after that.

My goal is to use Glacier as my offsite backup of the NAS

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are you familiar with their systems?
No, I'm really not. I've used rclone (the backend software for the Cloud Sync feature) a bit, but never with any Amazon services. From just a few minutes of searching, it doesn't look like rclone supports Glacier directly.

majerus

Contributor
That got me started and I was able to upload data to an amazon bucket, thanks!

Are you familiar with their systems?

I want to use their Glacier storage due to the low costs, seems like I have to upload to the bucket then have it transferred to Glacier after x days.

Pretty much set a policy to move to glacier.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I've been using glacier as the "1" in the "3-2-1" backup strategy for a few years. In fact, I just got my "invoice" for it today. $0.75 or something. Per month.

Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.