Backing up to Amazon Glacier

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlamarra

Explorer
So I'm still pretty new to FreeNAS and started doing some research on off-site backups. I'd love to use Amazon Glacier as I won't need access to my backups very often (hopefully never). I've never used any Amazon AWS services and I'm not sure if I could just use a guide on backing up my snapshots to S3. Would it be the same? Could I just set it up by using the FreeNAS GUI and going to Storage > Replication Tasks? If not, are there any guides on doing this via the cli?

Edit: After continuing my research, it seems I might not be able to use the GUI. I'll need to use a program/script to upload my snapshots. I'm familiar with Python and found the boto3 module. I can write something on my own, but is anyone aware of anything that someone else has already created for this type of task?

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
I think you need to set up a jail and run something like duplicity. But I haven’t put anything like that in production.

styno

Patron
As I understood a backup to S3 compatible cloud providers will be available in 11.1

Mlovelace

Guru
Edit: After continuing my research, it seems I might not be able to use the GUI. I'll need to use a program/script to upload my snapshots. I'm familiar with Python and found the boto3 module. I can write something on my own, but is anyone aware of anything that someone else has already created for this type of task?
I use rclone in a jail to push backups into cloud storage. It's available in the freebsd ports so you can just "pkg install" it. http://www.freshports.org/net/rclone/

https://rclone.org/ for more information.

Bizquick

Explorer
I'm looking to use the S3 service to backup to Glacier anyway to do that? or any steps for that?

styno

Patron
I'm looking to use the S3 service to backup to Glacier anyway to do that? or any steps for that?
No, the S3 service provides local object storage, basically the other way around. What you are looking for is an S3 capable client, not a server.

Bizquick

Explorer
This is the one thing I feel FreeNAS is lacking. backing up to Amazon services.
the Synology boxes do it very easy. And it looks like TrueNAS doesn't even offer this either. which I think makes the comercial product not look very good if the other boxes can do it and pretty easy too.

m0nkey_

MVP
the Synology boxes do it very easy. And it looks like TrueNAS doesn't even offer this either. which I think makes the comercial product not look very good if the other boxes can do it and pretty easy too.
You're comparing apples to oranges here.

Synology is a commercial, off the shelf product. It has to work out of the box. Synology has an interest to make sure their devices are not returned.

FreeNAS is open source. It's also gratis. You get a lot for spending no money. Of course there will be something you have to configure manually.

TrueNAS is iXsystems commercial arm. It's also an enterprise product. iXsystems will customize and make sure everything works before they leave the site.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I use rclone in a jail to push backups into cloud storage. It's available in the freebsd ports so you can just "pkg install" it. http://www.freshports.org/net/rclone/
Last I checked, the FreeBSD package was a few versions out of date. rclone is a static binary, so you can simply download the current version from rclone.org and put the binary wherever you want--there's really no need for it to even be in a jail.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why is Amazon, specifically, "the one thing"? Why are Amazon services so critical, as compared to other cloud backup services?

Mlovelace

Guru
Last I checked, the FreeBSD package was a few versions out of date. rclone is a static binary, so you can simply download the current version from rclone.org and put the binary wherever you want--there's really no need for it to even be in a jail.
It's not out of date, 1.38 is the current version. I installed it in a jail because I already use jails and had one setup and running.

I don't use Amazon cloud but pricing-wise they are a good choice.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's not out of date, 1.38 is the current version.
Hence "last I checked"--at the time, the pkg was at 1.33, and the current binary was 1.37. Good to know it's up-to-date now.

Status
Not open for further replies.