BACKING UP SMB DATASET WITH VEEAM

zbyte

Dabbler
Been running TrueNAS 12, no problems, zPool and vDevs working as expected, so does the HBA, I am experiencing an issue trying to backup the actual SMB share on TNAS using Veeam Backup and Replication, so Veeam connects to the SMB share and starts backing up from TNAS to another NAS and eventually reports an error. I'm not saying the issue is TrueNAS but there is a few options when backing up and I was wondering if option 1 should be the one to use. I don't option 2 and 3 will apply

Capture.PNG

This is the error reported by Veeam
Error: Agent: Failed to process method {NasMaster.ExecuteBackupProcessor}: Failed to complete backup items

I am aware a ticket with Veeam is necessary just dropping this here

greenieofdub

Cadet
Hi Zbyte

I am having the same issue. We're using Veeam file backup to backup a TrueNAS 12 share and are receiving the same error. Were you able to find an answer?

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you ticked the option Enable Shadow Copies on the share, option 2 may work.

zbyte

Dabbler
@greenieofdub
I found this on the SMB shares options, I'm not sure but it could be possible the FSRVP option would help
1621102887576.png

Need to read more about it

zbyte

Dabbler
Apparently the FSRVP is for something else not exactly the Veeam backup process.

I updated TrueNAS to the U3 version yesterday, ran another backup today

1621182428541.png

I monitored the resources on the TNas server and CPU goes up to max 7% but Veeam reports source bottlenecks, it reads a few gigabytes though before failing, I don't know if Veeam will be able to fix this, I seen reports over the years with their software malfunctioning when the source appliance is not a true Windows VSS box or VMWare one, they had the same issue with some Equalogic's and I guess TrueNAS is not different in this aspect

zbyte

Dabbler
@greenieofdub I'm doing some testing, I have a suspicion TrueNAS is not the bottleneck as pointed out by Veeam, those are just numbers which doesn't take in consideration other parameters, in my specific case seems TrueNAS and Veeam are "too fast" for the infrastructure repository, a RAID5 Thecus. I'm manually adjusting parameters within the specific backup task to limit the throughput to something "manageable" by the Thecus and Veeam interaction. Managed to keep the throughput instead at 134 Mbps to a 61 Mbps, still failed.
I reduced now the concurrent tasks on the storage to 1 and limited the speed of the infrastructure object to 50 Mbps I think. Already surpassing previous numbers but it could fail at any point.

Now the bottleneck is the destination storage but limiting such will balance the entire process, how the Proxy which is the buffering process handles this I don't know, we will see it if runs properly. Will provide an update later on

zbyte

Dabbler
Still far from finishing but from 2 - 3 % completed I'm at 33% percent looking good
1621189968469.png

The bottlenecks seems to be the destination, TrueNAS and Veeam are fast enough to process. Just limiting the concurrent sessions and speed to the destination infrastructure seems to have fixed the problem.

zbyte

Dabbler
As a last update, my destination storage NAS I do have to limit the transfer rate on Veeam's Backup Infrastructure definition to 50 Gbps and one concurrent task, I backed up 3 TB of data like this. If I set the transfer to 60 Gbps it will fail, so the actual value is kind of important, hope this helps others backing up from Veeam.

Note the bottleneck was never TrueNAS but the destination storage too slow for TrueNAS and Veeam's combo