AXIS security camera's no longer connecting after 11.2-U2 update

MindBender

Explorer
I have searched around the whole night last night, but so far I seem to be the only one experiencing this problem. Hopefully you guys here will be able to point me into the right direction, so here it goes:

After happily running FreeNAS 11.2-U1 for some time already, I updated to 11.2-U2 last night. Unfortunately, after updating, my AXIS security cameras are no longer able to connect to the NAS. This worked perfectly well before the update.

AXIS security cameras use SMB to connect to the NAS and the release notes did mention the updated contained an SMB update as well. The symptoms differ between cameras: Older cameras can connect, report the connection to be read-only, but the test files they write to test the connection appear perfectly fine in the shared directory. Newer cameras reported not being able to write recordings to the share, but their test files too appeared perfectly fine. After manually disconnecting them, they can no longer be connected (manually). I don't think this is an important difference.

I was too busy with the cameras to test Sonos too, first-things first. But I did have all settings in place to cripple SMB security far enough for Sonos' likings. I noticed SMB1 being disabled, but enabling that did not help for my cameras. And AXIS cameras negotiate to use SMB 3.0 or 3.02 per default. Only a deeply hidden mount option allows using SMB 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1.

Does anybody else have this problem? Or does anybody know what's going wrong?

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have searched around the whole night last night, but so far I seem to be the only one experiencing this problem. Hopefully you guys here will be able to point me into the right direction, so here it goes:

After happily running FreeNAS 11.2-U1 for some time already, I updated to 11.2-U2 last night. Unfortunately, after updating, my AXIS security cameras are no longer able to connect to the NAS. This worked perfectly well before the update.

AXIS security cameras use SMB to connect to the NAS and the release notes did mention the updated contained an SMB update as well. The symptoms differ between cameras: Older cameras can connect, report the connection to be read-only, but the test files they write to test the connection appear perfectly fine in the shared directory. Newer cameras reported not being able to write recordings to the share, but their test files too appeared perfectly fine. After manually disconnecting them, they can no longer be connected (manually). I don't think this is an important difference.

I was too busy with the cameras to test Sonos too, first-things first. But I did have all settings in place to cripple SMB security far enough for Sonos' likings. I noticed SMB1 being disabled, but enabling that did not help for my cameras. And AXIS cameras negotiate to use SMB 3.0 or 3.02 per default. Only a deeply hidden mount option allows using SMB 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1.

Does anybody else have this problem? Or does anybody know what's going wrong?

Can you try replacing the VFS module "zfsacl" with "ixnas" for the share and restart the SMB service.

MindBender

Explorer
Can you try replacing the VFS module "zfsacl" with "ixnas" for the share and restart the SMB service.
I wouldn't know how, and replicating instructions without understanding is a bit of a risky endeavour.
Is there an easy way I can go back to 11.2-U1?

nickv2002

Cadet
You should be able to roll back to the previous boot environment in the web interface under:
System -> Boot Environments
I had to do so because of SMB after updating too. :(

MindBender

Explorer
Thanks, there's a wealth of downgrades under System -> Boot Environments!
Is there a reason why 11.2-U2 is 13.0 GiB, while all others are 1.1 GiB at most?

Code:
Name             Active      Created             Space  Keep
11.1-U6          -           10/9/2018 12:54 AM   1.1G  no    ...
11.1-U6.3        -           1/17/2019 1:24 PM    1.1G  no    ...
11.2-RELEASE-U1  -           1/17/2019 1:39 PM    1.0G  no    ...
11.2-U2          Now/Reboot  2/21/2019 11:34 PM  13.0G  no    ...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks, there's a wealth of downgrades under System -> Boot Environments!
Is there a reason why 11.2-U2 is 13.0 GiB, while all others are 1.1 GiB at most?

Code:
Name             Active      Created             Space  Keep
11.1-U6          -           10/9/2018 12:54 AM   1.1G  no    ...
11.1-U6.3        -           1/17/2019 1:24 PM    1.1G  no    ...
11.2-RELEASE-U1  -           1/17/2019 1:39 PM    1.0G  no    ...
11.2-U2          Now/Reboot  2/21/2019 11:34 PM  13.0G  no    ...

That's odd. Can you generate a debug (system->advanced->save debug) and send it to me as a PM. Can you also send me the output of df -T.