Unable to enable SMB service after 11.2-U3 upgrade

John W

Dabbler
First off, hardware (running for three years):
MB: SuperMicro X10SRL-F
CPU: Intel QFSC (Xeon E5-2666v3 ES rev M0)
RAM: 32GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC (2x16GB)
Disks: 4x HGST NAS 3TB

I've tried clean installs of 11.2-U3 (I can enable SMB before doing anything else) but after uploading my config file or importing my storage pool, SMB fails to start. When I set up an SMB share the save function leaves me with "call timeout" but the share is listed anyway in Samba, and SMB services will no longer start.

I've also tried "testparm /usr/local/etc/smb.conf" in the shell, but that only returns "Error loading services". Google hasn't been much help either.

Anybody have any ideas?

John W

Dabbler
"testparm /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf" in the shell returns "Unable to initialize message context!".

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
"testparm /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf" in the shell returns "Unable to initialize message context!".
That usually means there is a problem with the contents of /var/db/samba4. Possibly incorrect ownership on one of the directories or one of them is missing. If you type "smbd -i -d 5" you might get a better idea about what's broken.

John W

Dabbler
That usually means there is a problem with the contents of /var/db/samba4. Possibly incorrect ownership on one of the directories or one of them is missing. If you typ

Thanks, now I'm seeing "directory_create_or_exist_strict: invalid ownership on directory /var/db/samba4/"

This is probably the third time I've used the shell, what is the next step?

John W

Dabbler
What's the output of getfacl /var/db/samba4 ?
getfacl.jpg

wrightuser and wrightgroup are the user/group I have had set up since I started running Freenas.

Last edited:

John W

Dabbler
It should be root:wheel there.
Code:
find /var/db/samba4 | setfacl -b
chmod 0750 /var/db/samba4
chmod 0700 /var/db/samba4/private
Changed dataset ownership to root:wheel and ran all three lines of code in the shell, still getting "SMB service failed to start".

Also ran "chown -R root:wheel /var/db/samba4/" and "getfacl /var/db/samba4" now returns root:wheel as the owner, but SMB still won't start.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

John W

Dabbler
Changed dataset ownership to root:wheel and ran all three lines of code in the shell, still getting "SMB service failed to start".

Also ran "chown -R root:wheel /var/db/samba4/" and "getfacl /var/db/samba4" now returns root:wheel as the owner, but SMB still won't start.

Any ideas?
Re-ran some of the code that anodos provided earlier in the thread:
setfacl.jpg