"SMB service failed to start"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3RadMan

Explorer
I was running freenas off an esxi vm and it was working fine. Then I transferred some data around, first freenas to a different data share on the esxi host. Then I moved the esxi host to a different usb stick and ever since I've had trouble. Now in freenas, I get the error "SMB service failed to start" when I try to enable the service. I have tried on 11.1 u6 and 11.2 with the exact same problem. Looking at the testparm command I didn't see anything weird. I have messed with my pools permissions with no change either. I haven't found very much info about this issue except for people who are able to just restart their systems and it works.

Any ideas?

Specs
ESXI 6.7
Freenas 11.2
2X xeon 2670
Asus Z9PA-D8
128gb ddr3 ecc ram
norco 4224 chassis
intel X550-T2 NIC
Intel RES2SV240
LSI 9240-8i (flahed to 9211-8i it mode)
6 8TB WD white hdd's
6 10TB WD white hdd's
3 Samsung ssd's
1 sandisk flash drive (boot)

vcjames

Cadet
I question if your NICs may have changed when you say you "Moved them around."

You may have encountered the question in ESXi - was this VM "moved or copied."
I'm 90% sure saying Copied will, among other things, changed the NIC's MAC.
I wonder if you may have new interface names (EX vmx0 ---> vmx1).

That's the best I can come up with without seeing any logs. If you can get those from an SSH session that'd be awesome.
Also for SNG's go into Samba settings and make sure it's binding to the right IP Address, it might be blank.
Whether its blank or not, click something and unclick it so that you can click "save" without changing any actual settings. Or set a new log-level. Because why not.

Then try again.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.