ATA_Identify Error

Zth

Cadet
Im new to the freeNAS scene and I have a problem,
I made my first desktop hosted NAS server to save money, in short it ran out of space, so I decided to try and upgrade it and I somehow mucked it up
The NAS is a
-HP compaq 8300 sff
- Intel I5 Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Processor
-8gb of ram
-6 1tb samsung 960 evo (with sata expansion card for 2 of them)

I was able to install and fire up FreeNAS on the computer, thinking everything was fine I logged into the web interface and began to remake the pool. The pool took forever so I plugged in a monitor to see what the darn thing was doing, I keep getting the same error and this only happens when I try to create a pool

If someone can help, im a noob at this your gonna need to dumb it down for me

Attachments

• bad.jpg
    bad.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 302

Zth

Cadet
Update: two drive dont work somehow, hmmm 2 drives on a expansion card

It must be that right, if anyone can give me a second opinion and a compatible SATA expansion card that would be most helpful

Glorious1

Guru
Sounds like maybe FreeNAS can't penetrate your expansion card. You can find some positive and negative recommendations for Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) in the user guide section 1.3.3. The recommended Broadcom MegaRAID controller card has to be flashed to IT mode; maybe all of them do; there are lots of discussions of that procedure on the forums.

I think this is the same one I have on eBay for only $30. Most people here use this or something similar. LSI was bought by Avago, which is now known as Broadcom, but they continue to use the LSI brand name. They've come down in price a lot; I paid $110 in 2014.

Can you access your system by SSH? If you can find such error messages in /var/log/* such as /var/log/messages, you can copy and paste it into a post in CODE tags.

Last edited: