Bus Error cannot import i/o error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtslaughter009

Dabbler
Hey guys im pretty new to the forum and am having some trouble with a nas i built. The nas was up and running for a about 6 months. Mounted the drives created permissions etc etc etc. I was away from my HQ for some time upon which i decided to look for some files and noticed my drive was no longer mounted. I then tried to connect to the webgui and it was not found either. I plugged in a keyboard mouse and monitor into the box and began to troubleshoot. The first thing i notice is that upon allowing it boot all the way is that it comes up with a "bus error" in addition it tells me that it cannot import "NastyNAS': I/O error. It then tells me to run zpool import -F NastyNAS although im not sure where i can run that command to begin recovery. I have attached a video of the device booting in addition to a few screen shots. Any help or suggestions is much appreciated i have 10yrs of my kids pics on here. Thanks in advance

Also here are my specs:

7gb Memory
Intel Pentium Dual Core E52002.50Ghz
5x 3.5 hard disks configured for Raid (not sure which) on the ZFS format
1x usb drive that i booted free nas from for initial install

Attachments

• IMG_0080[1].JPG
    IMG_0080[1].JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0088[1].JPG
    IMG_0088[1].JPG
    346 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
L

L

Open a shell and run the command. Check you bus though.. do you have cables or some sort of points of attachment?

sgtslaughter009

Dabbler
Open a shell and run the command. Check you bus though.. do you have cables or some sort of points of attachment?

That's exactly what i have been trying to figure out, how do i run a shell command? i have attempted to boot to single user mode, it eventually got me to a point that i actually have a cursor and can run a command. I have tried to run the zpool -F NastyNAS command however i receive an error stating that no such directory exists. Not sure if im even in the right place. As for checking my bus im not sure what you are referring to, on the motherboard? The sata connections on all 4 disk drives are firmly seated both at the motherboard and drive ends.

Attachments

• IMG_0089[1].JPG
    IMG_0089[1].JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 263

sgtslaughter009

Dabbler
i think you are referring to the shell function when i actually launch the gui via the ip address. i cant even connect to it via ip address although it pings successfully

sgtslaughter009

Dabbler
at this point i have pulled the drives out of the machine and have tested them one by one, seems one of the drives has failed although i still get the bus error and not sure what its referring to.

D

dlavigne

Wait for the prompt that says press enter, and do that. You should then have a shell to type into.

sgtslaughter009

Dabbler
after being prompted to press enter i waited for it to completely finish upon which i entered the zpool import -F NastyNAS and i received "fatal signal: bus error"

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 237
D

dlavigne

You're saying you got the bus again error AFTER the "Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh" message? That last screenshot shows it before.

sgtslaughter009

Dabbler
Yes as per the screen shot it shows the bus error>then i get "Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh" and upon entering the "zpool import -F NastyNAS" what results from that is

Jan 9 16:20:33 init: fatal signal: Bus error
Bus error
Jan 9 16:20:33 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

D

dlavigne

Sounds like either a bad USB stick or a failed disk. Try burning the same version of FreeNAS to a new USB stick and booting from that.

sgtslaughter009

Dabbler
i tried pressing enter after that then entering the command again and get this

Attachments

• IMG_0092[1].JPG
    IMG_0092[1].JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 243
D

dlavigne

From the build date on your one screenshot, I'd say 9.2.1.5 as that was released on April 25 (so built the day or so before).

sgtslaughter009

Dabbler
so i had my download of 9.2.1.5 and i was able to reinstall freenas. it looks as if it boots normally although when attempting to access the webgui i receive the following error
An error occurred.
Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.

sgtslaughter009

Dabbler
can anyone give me some insight as to what the next steps should be or where i should be looking to further troubleshoot. Clicking on the "error log" hyperlink brings me to a page that doesnt even reference the error code.

demon

Contributor
If you're getting SIGBUS errors on the machine, that either means you're seeing some sort of memory corruption - Intel ARK doesn't indicate the Pentium Dual-Core E5200 as being ECC-capable - or the USB flash drive is going, and corrupting your OS installation. Can you boot the same USB flash disk on a different machine? Can you boot another OS via a different USB flash disk on the same hardware? Have you tried running Memtest86+ on the machine?

If your memory is in fact failing, the pool may already be eaten. If it's just a crap USB flash disk, install FreeNAS on a new one, reimport your saved config (you did save a config backup, right?), and then re-import the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.