ATA Error Count Rising.... Hard drive flaking - Gen8

schnoodles

Cadet
Hey.

Just warning everyone that I built this NAS 4 years ago and havent touched it much so I am quite a bit out of the loop.

I am running a HP Gen8 with 4 5TB WD Green HDDs with the latest FreeNAS-11.2-U7

The HDD part on the Dashboard says Healthy for all disks.... How ever I am getting an error every few seconds

Code:
Device: /dev/ada2, ATA error count increased from 59693 to 60134
          Fri, 10 Jan 2020 04:24:35 GMT

I ran smartctl -a /dev/ada2 and it returned all sorts of crazy..... (When it wants to work)

Although most of the time I run it I just get

Code:
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: Input/output error

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

So I am assuming something very wrong is happening here....

I tried to run zpool status and I got

So I am really a bit out of my depth here.

My question really is.

1. Is my HDD completely screwed? Should I kick it off a cliff?
2. If it is screwed should I just by a WD 5TB Blue (I heard they replaced Green. I only bought Green as that was meant to be the NAS HDD).
3. If I buy a new HDD can I just plug it in and the RAID will rectify it?

Disk appears to be failing, you should run an extended SMART test to confirm, you should also have regular SMART tests scheduled, both short and long.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Also, don't use pastebin... it's against the forum rules... please paste the text in code tags here and use spoilers if needed to condense the message.

schnoodles

Cadet
Disk appears to be failing, you should run an extended SMART test to confirm, you should also have regular SMART tests scheduled, both short and long.

Smart Tests run every 2 hours roughly and this is what gets emailed to me.

Code:
The following alert has been cleared:
* Unable to run alert source 'HasUpdate'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/alert.py", line 465, in __run_source
    alerts = (await alert_source.check()) or []
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/alert/base.py", line 100, in check
    return await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.check_sync)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1009, in run_in_thread
    raise result
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1015, in _run_in_thread_wrap
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/../alert/source/update.py", line 34, in check_sync
    path = self.middleware.call_sync("notifier.get_update_location")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1137, in call_sync
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 425, in result
    return self.__get_result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 384, in __get_result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1069, in _call
    return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1009, in run_in_thread
    raise result
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1015, in _run_in_thread_wrap
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 1526, in get_update_location
    syspath = c.call('systemdataset.config')['path']
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 1526, in get_update_location
    syspath = c.call('systemdataset.config')['path']
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 447, in call
    raise CallTimeout("Call timeout")
middlewared.client.client.CallTimeout: Call timeout

Current alerts:
* Device: /dev/ada2, not capable of SMART self-check
* Device: /dev/ada2, Read SMART Error Log Failed
* Device: /dev/ada2, Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed
* Device: /dev/ada2, ATA error count increased from 59693 to 60134
* Device: /dev/ada2, failed to read SMART Attribute Data

Unfortunately when I try and do a long test manually through shell I get.

Code:
root@rivendell:~ # smartctl -t long /dev/ada2
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: Input/output error

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

The reason why I am stumped is because on the dashboard it looks like

harddrive_health_ada2.png

sretalla