At my ends....Can't install FREENAS (USB or SATA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wljohnson05

Dabbler
MB: X10SAT
RAM: Crucial 2x 8GB (CT102472BA160B)
Processor: Intel Xeon - E3-1220v3
Boot Device: Sandisk 64GB (USB3.0), Seagate 500gb drive (SATA), ADATA 16GB (USB3.0), Kingston 8gb (USB2.0), CD (newest stable version...burned with imgburn).
USB to Install to: Sandisk 32GB Ultra Fit (USB3.0)
FREENAS version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158, Freenas 9.3 realease, older versions as well...

I have tried to get freenas installed every way I can think of, but for some reason I can't ever get all the way through without it freezing up.

Sometimes it freezes at mountroot, sometimes I can get all the way to the Install menu. Without fail though if I do make it to the setup menu, it freezes. I even tried using a different keyboard, but that didn't do anything either. I've tried writing images to usbs using both Rufus and Win32DiskImager. Doesn't seem like either will make a difference.

I'm building this system for a friend of mine. I already have my own system up and running, but I had set that up a couple years ago.

What am I doing wrong? It's driving me nuts.

D

dlavigne

Does the system have a USB2 port, and if so, are you using that?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I know USB3 used to cause issues. Can it be disabled in the BIOS/EFI for that board? Take out the audio chip while you're in there since it's unneeded.

Have you verified the hashes of your FreeNAS downloads, and updated the BIOS on that board?

wljohnson05

Dabbler
BIOS is the newest version. I have looked through the BIOS but I can't find anywhere to disable it. All the ports on the back of the board are 3.0. I did hook the front USB ports to some 2.0 hookups on the board. I did try that...both front ports with different usb sticks (I've also tried SATA and CD, so I think one of those should have worked). I have not verified the sha256 hash because I don't know a good way to do it. Figured trying several different versions should work eventually. No way all the downloads could be wrong.

wljohnson05

Dabbler
So of course after 8 hours of trying and after I make a post, it finally works. No clue what the difference was...still hooked up to a sata drive. Just finally started working. So I'll see where it goes from here.

wljohnson05

Dabbler
Yes the RAM was tested when I first started having issues. I got the system up and running. I'm still just not sure what would have caused that much trouble with it. Today I had to replace the USB on my system and that one went through just fine using the same install media as I used on my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.