SOLVED ASUSTOR Fan Issue

OrcD3vil

Cadet
I own an ASUSTOR AS6604T 4-Bay NAS, I've upgraded the memory to 8GB and have 4x 10TB in Raidz. I found a link on the ASUSTOR official forums where someone posted they were able to get Ubuntu and other flavors working and was able to get the fans working for cooling but not the LCD Display. No worries on the LCD Display that would be nice but not worried. However, I would love to get the fans working as during load times such as importing pictures and videos to Photoprism I'm hitting 90C and would like to keep from burning the unit up. I went and put a personal fan behind it to increase some flow but that is only working a little bit.

I've done a little research and found out about lm-senors and fancontrol, I have checked and lm-senors does find some sensors but when I try to use fancontrol it says it can't find any sensors so I'm a little lost from here what to do. I would rather not move back to ASUSTOR ADM as its garbage. The original poster both on Reddit and ASUSTOR forums has since deleted their account or been banned assuming one or the other. Looking for some help?

OrcD3vil

Cadet
To be honest I'm a little new to TrueNAS/Linux so I do not know how, I have been searching for tutorials on how to control fans and haven't come up with a guide or walk through yet. All the guides for lm-sensors just tell you how to read the output, and guides for fancontrol/pwmconfig I can't get past it telling me that it can't detect any sensors. when I ran the sensor-detect command it asked me if I wanted to put a command in the modules to load, I said yes and rebooted. But fancontrol/pwmconfig won't detect any of the sensors on the motherboard. So, I'm at a loss to try to figure out how to control the fans. I looked in the BIOS but everything in their looks to it should "shut down" over 90C but it's not according to TrueNAS it hit 100C and was still chugging along.

OrcD3vil

Cadet
So I did some more searching and I found this "article" and followed it. the fan was "barely" spinning and now its spinning what seems full speed that is a much-needed improvement although it says to put the script in /home/root but as root your in /root so I put it there. Not seeing anywhere in the temp_monitor.sh script that references a static home directory so assuming it "should" be fine. So anyone running a ASUSTOR AS6604T this should help with heat issues.

OrcD3vil

Cadet
So I did some more searching and I found this "article" and followed it. the fan was "barely" spinning and now its spinning what seems full speed that is a much-needed improvement although it says to put the script in /home/root but as root your in /root so I put it there. Not seeing anywhere in the temp_monitor.sh script that references a static home directory so assuming it "should" be fine. So anyone running a ASUSTOR AS6604T this should help with heat issues.
ASUSTOR Fan Control Script

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Glad you found a solution. It sounds like they're relying on the OS for fan control? On most systems, this is done either by the system firmware in System Management Modem or by the BMC when one exists.

OrcD3vil

Cadet
So just as for an update the search I did lead me to the Git Hub of the link above and I messaged the creator, and he was very helpful and went through a script change for the AS6604T for anyone like me that wants to run TrueNAS and has the fan issue. AS6604T Fan Process

The creator is helpful and great.

Videopac

Cadet
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Can you let me know the exact commands you used to get fancontrol to work?
When I to run the command entered in the link you provided I get errors.
First, TrueNAS scale does not recognize the apt command (I assume because it is based on Ubuntu iso Debian; I always mixed them up).
However, when I try to run sudo install lm-sensors --install-suggests --install-recommends I get an error on the --install-suggests option.

LarsR

Guru
@Videopac your problem is likely that iX has disabled apt on truenas Scale. Scale is an appliance OS and you're not supposed to treat it like a normal Linux Distro. Installing additional packages could break the custom middleware iX has developed for truenas because truenas relies on certain package versions to run. If you use apt you could update those packages without knowing it could break things. Therefore apt has been disabled for about 6-9 Months now.