Assistance Please in Selecting a Smart UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Slitter

Explorer
I have FreeNas 9.3 up and running and have a non-smart UPS connected to it as a temporatry solution to our power issues here in Thailand.
My list of UPS's is limited here but I am able to get some of the more popular manufactures but I have an issue with which model to select that support the UPS drivers listed in FreeNas.

I would appreciate some responces from the users here in what they have that works so I might purchase a unit that will work and automatically shut down the server when a power outage occures.

Thank you!

ethereal

Guru
CyberPower CP685AVRG (390w UPS

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
If you can get that model in Thailand, that's a good unit per dollar. (or..per baht).

Al Slitter

Explorer
Hello ethereal;
Thank you for the reply, I have a question regardingthis UPS.
Within FreeNas what was the CyberPower driver you are using for this UPS?

Thanks in advance.

Al Slitter

Explorer
Just received a reply from supplier they do not carry that model. They do however hace
CyberPower UPS Value600EI-B.
I wonder if this model can work?
Auto shut down is the key!

ethereal

Guru

Fritzolio

Explorer
I'm using a APC SmartUPS 1500va and it works just fine. Tested it and it does shut down the FreeNAS box as it should.

Al Slitter

Explorer
Well I seemed to have solved this situation.
I had conserns about purchasing a New UPS and finding out later that it would not work.
So after some thinking about this I decided to removed the 1000VA UPS that I use on my primary workstation and installed beside my server.
I connected in the USB cable then booted the server and then tried what I thought might be generic USB driver. On my second attempt
the driver took so I set the server to shut down after 30 seconds (default) and to my supprise it did.
What this tells me is that UPS in general are capable of using software meant for other UPS's it just takes time and a bit of effort to
make it work!

Thank you every one for you guidence and help on this issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.