UPS Support - CyberPower CP425HG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joebakb

Cadet
Link: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/soho-ups/CP425HG.html

Hello,
Does anyone know if there is an included driver in the web interface that would work with this UPS? If not, is there another solution other than buying a new UPS? I see there are a few CyberPower drivers listed already, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

I've just built a home FreeNAS system and would like to incorporate this unit as it's cheap, would give ample time for a shutdown during a power outage, and (perhaps the best reason) I already own one.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Stephens

Patron
Which version of FreeNAS are you using?

Let me tell you what I get from your post. You already have the UPS. You already have the FreeNAS system. You want to know if they'll work together but decided to post and wait for an answer rather than just trying it. That about right? ;) As you might guess, my advice is to just try it. My CyberPower 850PFCLCD didn't work in 8.0.4 but does work in 8.2. I'm pretty sure it'll works in 8.3 as well. If we look at the NUT Compability List and select "CyberPower" for manufacturer, we see there are only a few driver choices (PowerPanel, Generic UPS, usbhid-ups, and snmp-ups). The listed models aren't the only models supported. Rather, they're the ones people have gone to the trouble to test out and document for inclusion into the database.

To test, select a UPS similar to yours which uses the drivers you want to use, set the system to shut down when it goes on UPS power after 30 seconds, then unplug from the wall and see if it shuts down. If not, try another CyberPower UPS/driver combination.

jlpellet

Patron
I agree just try. I note three things from my experience. 1) the driver selection UPS name does NOT stay what is selected but the actual driver stays as chosen - it just picks a typical UPS name for that driver. 2) The UPS port may be found by plugging in the UPS to a USB port then reviewing /var/log/messages for the port change. This may require a restart but has not in my experience. 3) Finally, the UPS service may not start if the port or driver don't allow communication with the UPS. Hope this helps.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Which version of FreeNAS are you using?

Let me tell you what I get from your post. You already have the UPS. You already have the FreeNAS system. You want to know if they'll work together but decided to post and wait for an answer rather than just trying it. That about right? ;) As you might guess, my advice is to just try it.

That sums up exactly why I didn't reply to this thread 5 minutes after it was posted.

If you had done some reading when people post asking of UPS brand X model Y works they get the same answer every time. If you already own it might as well try it.

Joebakb

Cadet
Well, thanks for the answers. They are appreciated, though some a bit presumptuous.

Anyway, I have already tried a few drivers to no avail. Is a restart usually required? I keep getting the following repeating information from the console from that usb port:

Code:
ugen2.2: <CPS> at usbus2
ugen2.2: <CPS> at usbus2 (disconnected)
ugen2.2: <CPS> at usbus2
ugen2.2: <CPS> at usbus2 (disconnected)

Am i supposed to be under the impression that a usable driver will remedy this or am I looking at something else altogether?

Joebakb

Cadet
Using FreeNAS 8.3 x64 release, by the way.

Well, it looks like I found the solution. No idea why it worked, but I found it somewhere by googling different things for a few hours. Basically, after just rename the /etc/local/nut/ups.conf file to something else and let the service create a new one when you restart the UPS daemon through the web interface.

Now I looked at this file before and after I did this and I didn't notice any differences, and when I went back into the directory to compare the two after a restart, the renamed file was deleted. Everything works, though. I did a test run and the shutdown timer worked as well. So all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.