[Ask]Permission access file & security

Status
Not open for further replies.

InGenetic

Contributor
Dear all,
I'm new here .. nice to meet u all ...
I wanna try to making a file server on my place, so i decided to try freenas,
before that, i have a little things that i need to know..
First, about user permission access and security , is it the same with windows server 2003 ? i mean .. for ex : special permission like .. you can edit the file ,but cannot delete the file.

please give me some information about that ..

Regards,

InGenetic

Knowltey

Patron
Dear all,

First, about user permission access and security , is it the same with windows server 2003 ? i mean .. for ex : special permission like .. you can edit the file ,but cannot delete the file.

InGenetic

You can configure the datasets to use Windows ACLs which should be what you are looking for. For example on my NAS I have some directories configured so that certain users can traverse say /mnt/Mirror1/NASData/Images but can't actually list the folder contents or read data, but they can traverse the directory so that they can have read/write access to /mnt/Mirror1/NASData/Documents/Images/Wallpapers for example. On my server /mnt/Mirror1/NASData/ shared at \\NAS\NAS\, if a user attempts to browse into Images from \\NAS\NAS they'll get an access denied error, but if they attempt to browse directly into \\NAS\NAS\Images\Wallpapers it will allow them to list folder contents, read, write etcetera. That is all configured in the special permissions that you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.