Not open for further replies.

krikboh

Patron

warri

Guru
Interesting read, thanks for sharing!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Read it as well. Interesting and looks like we have the better (not experimental) file system right now.

scurrier

Patron
Great article. Thanks for posting it! Love Ars Technica.

I might be becoming a file system nerd.

Knowltey

Patron
Their bit on compression seems a little off. Says that in ZFS you can only enable compression across the entire filsystem. But just a couple of minutes ago I turned off compression for just only one of my datasets.

warri

Guru
They are mentioning "filesystem level", but I'm pretty sure that they actually include datasets in this definition.
Their main point is that Btrfs allows compression on the file-level, or on certain file types - which ZFS cannot do.

titan_rw

Guru
Their mentioning zfs only supports different compression options at a filesystem level caught me too. As warri also pointed out, I realized that they are probably talking about datasets. A dataset is basically a completely different filesystem. So what they state is technically true, although a bit misleading.

I'll concede that zfs doesn't allow you to set compression based on file extensions and such. But then again, I don't see a huge need for that. Datasets allow you different locations to store file-extensions that may or may not compress. Most of my files are already compressed media, so I leave compression off completely. Backup datasets that I know are going to receive uncompressed datastreams, I set to gzip-max. There's no need to do that one a file-extension basis. Other backups that are already compressed by the backup application, I leave compression off.

warri

Guru
I'll concede that zfs doesn't allow you to set compression based on file extensions and such. But then again, I don't see a huge need for that. Datasets allow you different locations to store file-extensions that may or may not compress. Most of my files are already compressed media, so I leave compression off completely. Backup datasets that I know are going to receive uncompressed datastreams, I set to gzip-max. There's no need to do that one a file-extension basis. Other backups that are already compressed by the backup application, I leave compression off.

Also with the introduction of lz4 compression you can basically leave compression on everywhere without a performance penalty, because it aborts early on incompressible data - which is the new default behaviour in the upcoming FreeNAS 9.2.1, see feature #3872.

Status
Not open for further replies.