Are you having problems using your AMD CPU with 9.3?

AMD CPU/APU Questions: Please check all that apply:

• My CPU/APU apperas to work fine under 9.3

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • My CPU/APU appears to NOT work fine under 9.3

• I have an A Series APU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have an FX Series CPU

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I have an Opteron CPU

• I have an Athlon CPU

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I have a Sempron APU

• I have a Phenom CPU

• I have an E Series APU

• I'm not a real man and went with Intel

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Any Other AMD CPU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I know that most folks running FreeNAS are running Intel CPUs however there is a small amount of us who use an AMD CPU/APU.

What I am trying to ascertain is if you have been using FreeNAS 9.3 and you have an AMD CPU/APU, please post the CPU model and if you are or are not having issues you believe are related to the CPU. Also include your Motherboard model as hardware compatibility is also worth looking at.

The FreeBSD 9.3 hardware compatibility list only lists a few CPUs by name and then gathers the rest by saying i386 compatible. That is pretty generic.

This will not be a perfect science and I'm not looking to troubleshoot CPU issues here, it's only data gathering because if there is a real reason to stop recommending AMD CPUs, then I would like to see some factual data behind it, otherwise it' more of a personal preference. Also, if your tagline contains that info, that is good enough.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hehe.. "I'm a real man and went with Intel". I like that one! One vote for me! :D

joeschmuck

Old Man

gpsguy

No checkbox for this CPU. I have FreeNAS 9.3 running in a VM (for testing) on my ESXi box.

Build FreeNAS 9.3-M4 2014-10-25 00:19:55 GMT
Platform AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
Memory 8166MB

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sorry, I added a new selection.

So 9.3 is running fine on ESXi, damn, I'm having some minor issues running it in VMWare Workstation 10 and I'm using my i7 CPU. Eh, hopefully it's something that will be fixed in the next few days and it's not my issue.

Starpulkka

Contributor
I have FX series cpu, cant add users, and get some code 11 currently thinkin it is because nas machines are not connected www
Edit: same happens Supermicro x10 and intel g3220 Haswell
Edit2: Works great if i bypass that wizard by pressing exit button and do eveevythin manually. Tested this on supermicro x10 board and then amd asus M5A97 amd970

Last edited:

Siewert

Cadet
Here is one with AMD issues.
Have issues with all versions and not 9.3 particular version.

1. Eminent EM3980 Serial2USB UPS (serial2usb cable with PL2303TA Chipset) isn't recognized
While serial2serial works fine

2. Also it doesn't let me suspend the system properly.
When suspending it stops at the usb ports and that takes a second and then it suspends.
According to FREEBSD debugging and putting in the sysctl debug.acpi.resume_beep=1 via terminal.
It continues beeps when i try yo resume my machine and hangs.

Above does work fine on Intel machines.

ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3N18L T-M3N8200 Terminator T3
x64-embedded on AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
nVidia nForce MCP77 UDMA133 chipset controller

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Siewert,

Sorry you are having troubles. AMDs have always been a problem with FreeBSD. This thread is for 9.3 issues exclusively. I think what we're trying to determine is the viability of 9.3 for AMD systems. The hardware recommendations thread strongly recommends against AMD, and we are trying to figure out if there is a commonality, a way to fix this, or anything of the sort.

My guess is that your system is just not particularly compatible with AMD. That's not much of a surprise to frequent forum users as AMDs have always had problems that were never seen on Intel. My recommendation to all AMD users and those considering AMD to to go with Intel. When you are new to the OS or don't have much experience with FreeBSD/FreeNAS it's almost impossible to troubleshoot the problem on your own and there is no good support structure for AMD users with FreeNAS. If you look around the general answer is "get rid of AMD" for those weird unexplained phenomenon.

Siewert

Cadet
Siewert,

Sorry you are having troubles. AMDs have always been a problem with FreeBSD. This thread is for 9.3 issues exclusively. I think what we're trying to determine is the viability of 9.3 for AMD systems. The hardware recommendations thread strongly recommends against AMD, and we are trying to figure out if there is a commonality, a way to fix this, or anything of the sort.

My guess is that your system is just not particularly compatible with AMD. That's not much of a surprise to frequent forum users as AMDs have always had problems that were never seen on Intel. My recommendation to all AMD users and those considering AMD to to go with Intel. When you are new to the OS or don't have much experience with FreeBSD/FreeNAS it's almost impossible to troubleshoot the problem on your own and there is no good support structure for AMD users with FreeNAS. If you look around the general answer is "get rid of AMD" for those weird unexplained phenomenon.

Yep i'm new to the entire unix system.
And searching the forums last couple of weeks i did notice the AMD issues.
Did try to solve them as stubborn as i am.
And had hope 9.3 would solve it. ;-)
I know the easiest way is to get rid of my AMD machine.
And that's the problem, this machine is what i had build from my leftovers and no money to buy a new machine.
There for i got rid of my NAS and pout the whole nas idea a side.
No way i will use my Intel Machine as this machine is my HTPC ;-)
Hopefully i will be back in the future with a Intel machine based FreeNAS...

Starpulkka

Contributor
Yup, have to wait and see. Im hoping that i didnt waste my money on intel and supermicro x10 board..
freenas kernel pid xxxx uid0 exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
and when i try add user i get
/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py in user_getnextuid, line 2345

System specs:
FreeNAS-9.3-M4-bc464b6-x64
Intel g3220 Haswell
Supermicro x10 F-O (latest bios on todate)
Kingston 16Gb ECC
Kingston usb 16gb stick

Edit2: Works great if i bypass that wizard by pressing exit button and do eveevythin manually. Tested this on supermicro x10 board and then amd asus M5A97 amd970

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not certain this thread, the way I set it up, will actually yield the results I'm looking for.

My goal was to find out which AMD CPUs do or do not work with FreeBSD/FreeNAS 9.3. The polling results do not allow for data to be extrapolated in this manner. I'd have to rewrite the questions to achieve this. Maybe a simpler way would be to leave it up to the user to just enter a simple answer which gives the system specs (CPU, MB, RAM, etc...).

I'm closing the poll in 1 hour. Any feedback appreciated.

Magnus33

Patron
Behaves fine on the Phenoem cpu but fails to work correct on the smaller fm cpu.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Motherboard manufacturers seem to be trying for the ultra-low end with the cheaper AMD systems. I wouldn't be surprised if corners were cut (even more so than usual).

deafen

Explorer
I'll be upgrading my backup N40L system to 9.3-BETA in the next couple days and will report then. My main server is a much beefier AMD (FX-6350), but I'm holding off upgrading until I've run 9.3 through its paces on the lower-risk system first. I'll still report back, though.

Magnus33

Patron
Amd cpu's wont be a issue but i would manually check your drives to see if they need a firmware update.

The new zfs is more picky of hard drives with outdated flawed firmware so doing a check a good way to avoid any potential headaches.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'll be upgrading my backup N40L system to 9.3-BETA in the next couple days and will report then. My main server is a much beefier AMD (FX-6350), but I'm holding off upgrading until I've run 9.3 through its paces on the lower-risk system first. I'll still report back, though.
You don't need the beefier CPU, it gains you nothing unless you already have it or it's free. 9.3 will not be an issue for these AMD CPUs.

shaithis

Cadet
This is putting me off of trying it on my Microservers.......I think there would be a lot FreeNAS users upset if it had issues on these :S

Urs

Dabbler
as said on my other thread, i have amd-fx cpus all with asus m5a97 r2.0 mobos, all working fine, even the realtek nics!
i thinks it is more a motherboard thing than a cpu-thing.
so ASUS M5A97 R2.0 is working!

Magnus33

Patron
As i said Amd aren't going to be a issue and the only hardware problem likely to be run into is harddrives.
The improved zfs seems to be more picky to drives with flawed firmware and one should check to see if there a firmware issue with the drive.

Its a pain but if in most cases its the same drive a check isn't that hard.

I had a replacement seagate in my clone box in was testing which had a flawed firmware and i had to take it out of the system to get things going again.
Drive since been updated and replaced with no further issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.