Suggestions for an efficient CPU?

Megarobo

Cadet
Hi all, I'm looking for some help with finding a seemingly impossible CPU.
First off, let it be known this will be my 1st TrueNAS system, so I have no previous experience using it (or FreeBSD). I did some reading and for my use case (file storage and running Plex) I came up with the following requirements:

- GPU for video transcoding
- ECC memory support
- Low energy consumption
- Enough PCI lanes to run a 10Gbit PCI card (Intel X550-T2 if not using a motherboard that has 10GBase-T on it) and a RAID card (thinking of Dell PERC H310 in IT mode).

I looked at options from AMD and Intel, and found out a few things. AMD offers some CPUs like the Ryzen 2200G, Athlon 3000G and Ryzen PRO 4650G. The problem here is that the 2200G and 3000G do not support ECC. The 4650G does, but I read online that Vega integrated GPUs can not be used on FreeBSD (Source 1 Source 2). I guess this just rules out all offerings from AMD?

Then I looked at Intel options, namely the Celeron G6900 and i3 12100. Both of these have an integrated GPU that should work on FreeBSD, and Intel claims to support ECC on 12th gen consumer processors (Source). I am not sure if that includes the Celeron, but because it uses the 1700 socket I assume so. If not, I can get the i3. However, it does need the W680 chipset according to Intel. Unfortunately, where I live (Netherlands) there are no W680 motherboards for sale (apart from some €500+ ones, but such a board alone would cost about as much as the entire system I'm trying to build).

Now I have no clue if what I am looking for even exists. Maybe a Xeon with integrated graphics? All the ones I've been able to find are either very old and therefore lack support for stuff like H265 transcoding on the igpu, or they cost hundreds of euros. Another option could be DDR5, as this claims to have some built-in ECC? I don't know how well that works, and with current DDR5 prices it would also increase the cost significantly. I've ran out of ideas and places to look, so if some of you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

Arwen

MVP
You did not mention the amount of storage desired, (now and for the next 3 years of growth). That can make a different in the number of disk slots needed to accomplish the storage goal.

For example, a pre-built used or new server might meet your needs. Like a HP mini tower. It only has 4 x 3.5" and no built in 10Gbps, so you would have to use the single PCIe slot for that purpose.

Megarobo

Cadet
You did not mention the amount of storage desired, (now and for the next 3 years of growth). That can make a different in the number of disk slots needed to accomplish the storage goal.

For example, a pre-built used or new server might meet your needs. Like a HP mini tower. It only has 4 x 3.5" and no built in 10Gbps, so you would have to use the single PCIe slot for that purpose.
I didn't think the amount of storage was relevant to mention right away. Regardless of what storage I'll be using, I was still not able to find a CPU that has ECC and an integrated GPU. Instead of selecting a CPU out of a plethora of options, I was hoping to even find one CPU that has the required features in the first place.

As far as the setup goes: I was planning on using an NVMe SSD as cache, and 6 to 10 8TB HDDs. If the only CPU we can find that has ECC, iGPU and enough lanes is overkill for that, so be it. If it is underpowered, I'll see what I can change about the storage configuration to make it work.

Having said that, do you perhaps know of a CPU that has the features I'm looking for?

blanchet

Guru
Maybe you can look for a Xeon-d motherboard.
There are many models from Supermicro from different generations (x10, x11, x12)

The motherboard has a soldered SoC that integrates every thing you need.
Low-power but fast CPU, ECC memory and built-in 10G Ethernet.
For the GPU, you can add a PCIe GPU board.

Xeon-d are very popular for storage appliances. iXsystems uses them in their Truenas X-Series.