Are my speeds right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

St3phan

Cadet
Jeahh second post!

I would like to know if my speeds are right? I suspect i can get more out of it, but i'm not sure.

I have the following system;
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor
Asus M5A88-M
12 Gb memory (non EEC)
Realtek onboard nic
4 x 1Tb in raidZ

I souly copy from Windows to Freenas and back again, so no lunix or mac. These are my transfer rates.

ISOs 110 MB / s
MP3 60 MB / s
Photos (in RAW) 85 MB / s

The following I have already tried;

-16Gb Memory
-A Use SSD cache
-Direct Writing to an SSD
-Also tried some tweaks including smb2 min and max SMB3

I would like (especially in photos) to fill the gigabit connection. What can I do about it? would the NIC be no good? With ifperf I get 850 Mbits / sec so that seems to be good. The write speeds of the drives are also much higher (even with the small file sizes). Writing to the raidz or to the SSD did not make any difference, there seems to be a bottleneck somewhere.

I hope you can help me. Oh, I'm still reasonably noobisch, sorry!

Last edited:
L

L

those numbers are very good for your disk setup. The only other thing you can try is to do 2 mirrored pairs. I typically get about 50MB/sec per vdev and you only have one vdev.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Realtek onboard nic

Found your most likely culprit right there. You also will not get peak speed on multiple small files (eg: photos) versus larger things (eg: videos)

Also your machine is definitely nowhere near a recommended configuration, as you're using AMD consumer hardware and non-ECC RAM.

St3phan

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Linda!

Splitting and creating 2 mirrors would lose another drive to parity, and in need the 3Tb. But to be clear...you're suggestion is to make to 2 mirrors and then stripe those?

Can i also just add another drive, or is it too risky running 5 drives in a raidz setup? Would a 5 drive raidz2 setup perform better?

St3phan

Cadet
Found your most likely culprit right there. You also will not get peak speed on multiple small files (eg: photos) versus larger things (eg: videos)
I also think this could be the problem. It's to much of a coincidence that i get the same write speeds to the raidz array and the SSD. I guess buying a
Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter will increase performance. It's a shame the mobo doesn't support ECC. Other then that coming from a LG 2 bay nas this is a big step up. Next build will be more professional.

Last edited:

St3phan

Cadet
Just tried striping 4 disks, this had no beneficial effect. It was even slightly worse. I'll replace the NIC with the intel gigabit ct NIC.

St3phan

Cadet
So i installed the intel NIC and speeds are a bit better now.....

ISOs 110 MB / s
MP3 65 MB / s
Photos (in RAW) 92 MB / s

Guess i'll have to be satisfied with these numbers.

INCSlayer

Contributor
I hope you arent saving anything you care about there and/or that you keep regular backups. Running Freenas on non ECC ram if very very very much not recommended

Or invest in an ECC build..or keep very good backups....multiple backups, incase your FreeNAS starts corrupting data and then backing up corrupt data.

St3phan

Cadet
I run a backup to a separate external HDD. Also the freenas will not run 24/7, i'd say it will run 8 to 10 hours each day, or does that make things worse? Will reducing memory from 3 to 2 sticks reduce the risk?

I'll read thru the thread from cyberjock about EEC vs non-ECC RAM an ZFS.

St3phan

Cadet
I might buy the AS Rock C2550D4I in the (not so) near future. Any body else got other recommendations for a MOBO or SOC.
I'll be using the NAS for storage for pictures as i'm a photographer. High transfer speeds would be nice since i'll write 50 to 80 Gb on a regular basis. Also being able to rapidly access photos from the NAS would make it much easier to re-visite pictures i took in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.