April 2017 forum layout changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hey everyone, just wanted to formally announce the revised forum layout. I'll just show the new layout and then I'll explain our train of thought:

FreeNAS Announcements
  • Forum Guidelines
  • Announcements
FreeNAS
  • Will it FreeNAS?
  • Help and Support
    • New to FreeNAS?
    • Hardware
    • User Authentication
    • Sharing
    • Storage
    • Networking
    • Installation and Updates
    • General Questions and Help
    • Jails, Plugins and bhyve
  • Development
    • FreeNAS Pre-RELEASE Discussion
    • FreeNAS Corral Forum
    • Bug Report Discussion
Community Forum
  • Introductions
  • Forum Suggestions
  • Off-topic
International
  • 11 different languages
Archived Sections
  • Where we filed the old stuff

Ok, now the explanation:

For a variety of reasons - remnants of old sections, temporary sections and the unfortunate development cycle of FreeNAS 10/Corral - the forums had accumulated a lot of barely-used sections and a significant amount of overlap between sections. One of our goals was to cut down on these, to make the forums easier to browse and make it easier for people on 1920x1080 or smaller monitors to be able to see everything at a glance.

One of the major changes was to archive a number of old sections, notably the old Development section, the How-To Guides section and the Blogs, reviews, information section. These should all still be viewable, but no new threads can be posted. If you think a certain thread should be available outside of this archive, just report it as such, explain your reasoning, and the mods will take care of it.

This might raise a question: "Where do I post my How-To?". For those of you still unaware, the forum has a Resources section, with much more functionality than the rest of the forum. It can be reached with the link marked in red, on the navigation bar. You'll also see a selection of Resources in the area marked in green, often you'll see the latest Resource there (of course, you can also watch Resource categories to be notified of new ones). I'll be writing a short guide to the Resources section in a few days with a lot more detail.

ForumsResourcesSectionMarked.png

Another significant change is our new Development section. It contains the classic Bug Reports Discussion (which was moved from Help & Support), along with a new section to discuss all sorts of Pre-RELEASE topics, including new features and specific Nightly, Beta or Release Candidate builds. The FreeNAS Corral forum sections can also be found here, for community-driven development and help.

Finally, with bhyve GUI support incoming in 9.10.3, the Plugins and jails section has been renamed accordingly to include bhyve. In the future, when Docker support matures a bit, we will open a section dedicated to Docker.

We hope that the new layout makes the forums easier to navigate and less cluttered, while still allowing quick access to the various topics.

fracai

Guru
"Jails, Plugins and bhyve"
Not a fan of the serial comma, I see? I propose this be changed to: "Jails, Plugins, and bhyve" or even "Jails, Plugins, bhyve".

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, I'm not an oxford comma fan. :p

fracai

Guru
That makes me feel: :eek:, :oops: and :mad:.
And maybe ;).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ultimately, I don't have permissions to edit that.

diedrichg

Wizard
"Jails, Plugins and bhyve"
Not a fan of the serial comma, I see? I propose this be changed to: "Jails, Plugins, and bhyve" or even "Jails, Plugins, bhyve".
APA style cites the usage as fracai suggests. (even though I personally like the formatting as it is)

Status
Not open for further replies.