SOLVED Apps Settings "Choose Pool" fails every time

macnugget

Dabbler
System:
  • TrueNAS Mini R
  • TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.2
  • Pool 1 (zippy): SSD Mirror (2 x QSP7T6R2)
  • Pool 2 (rust): Hard drive mirror (2 x WDC_WD181KFGX-68AFPN0)
  • Single network interface (enp2s0f4)
    • 172.28.10.11/24
    • a single link-local IPv6 address (fe80::/64)
This is a relatively fresh install, new hardware purchased from ixSystems. I've added a few users, a few pools, and a few SMB shares. Nothing else interesting I can think of with the config.

Every time I try to choose a pool for Apps it says it's trying to fetch kubernetes.update at 0.00% and then fails instantly with this error:

Code:
Configuring...

Error: [EINVAL] kubernetes_update.force: Missing '/mnt/zippy/ix-applications/config.json' configuration file. Specify force to override this and let system re-initialize applications.

It doesn't seem to matter which of my two pools I select, I see the same error on both.

I've rebooted the box as suggested in this other thread because previously I was getting that error as well. I'm no longer getting that error, though, now just this one.

This error text is coming from src/middlewared/middlewared/plugins/kubernetes_linux/update.py#L103, but that's as far as I've dug.

Hope this is something simple!

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 22.02.46.png
Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 22.03.00.png

Last edited:

Aipoc76

Dabbler
verify you have set your rout v4 gateway in advanced settings of App main page.

macnugget

Dabbler
Advanced settings for both Route v4 Interface and Gateway were empty. Node IP is and has only one option "0.0.0.0"

I set the fields to the correct values for this machine (enp2s0f4, 172.28.10.1) and rebooted just in case. No change to the behavior.
I still get the error message trying to choose the Apps pool.

Aipoc76

Dabbler
Soo 0.0.0.0 just tells the App daemon to listen to all bound addresses for that server. the Route v4 should be your router / gateway ip address. Its most likely not going to be a 172 address. Look at the properties of a windows system, the Gateway field.

macnugget

Dabbler
Yes, I understood that. With the correct values I still experience the problem.

Aipoc76

Dabbler
Is the Applications manager creating a dataset?
1685449062003.png

Aipoc76

Dabbler
NM i see it wont, re-read your post. I had this issue before, trying to remember the fix...

Aipoc76

Dabbler
You say node IP only has 1 option of 0.0.0.0, It should have 2 or more. Click on the Network Side Main Tab,
1685449628681.png
and verify that your Interfaces and Global Configuration are set. Your Interfaces should contain a IP address on your network, not just TrueNAS's internal network.
1685449680096.png

macnugget

Dabbler
There is no ix-applications dataset created.

The IP address and router address I mentioned in posts 1 and 3 are correct. As I said upthread, the Kubernetes router/interface fields were empty initially but based on your advice I put the correct values in there and that hasn’t fixed the problem. Thanks for your patience and help, I really do appreciate it.

The Kubernetes Node IP just has the single option 0.0.0.0 still. It doesn’t allow me to select the machine’s address (172.28.10.11) from the drop-down. And just for clarity, there’s no overlap between that address/network and the Kubernetes internal subnets.

Last edited:

Aipoc76

Dabbler
You by chance dont have 2 DHCP servers going on, one on a VM or TrueNAS, and one through your router? And are you hard setting your IP, or is it a DHCP Lease on your NAS?

macnugget

Dabbler
The IP address of the machine is DHCP-assigned and seems completely correct. Networking is obviously working since I can ssh into the box as well as access the web UI and SMB file shares that I've set up.

Aipoc76

Dabbler
Only thing i can think to try is hard setting the IP and Gateway. Im still new to TrueNAS myself and learning the waters.

Aipoc76

Dabbler
heres what mine looks like. Yes i blacked out my internal IP's....
1685459553736.png

macnugget

Dabbler
Only thing i can think to try is hard setting the IP and Gateway. Im still new to TrueNAS myself and learning the waters.
Turns out, you are correct about this bit.

I dug through the code on GitHub to see what was behind the Node IP drop-down menu. It's a function called `bindip_choices` which is coded to only list static IP addresses on the host.

I changed to a static IP assignment in the Network config and then the host's IP address started to appear in the Node ID drop-down menu.

I still get the same error trying to choose the pool, though.

Last edited:

Aipoc76

Dabbler
awesome!!!!

macnugget

Dabbler
Upgraded to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.1, no change. I'm still unable to select a pool for Apps.

Now I get this error: **Error:** [EINVAL] kubernetes_update.force: Missing '/mnt/zippy/ix-applications/config.json' configuration file. Specify force to override this and let system re-initialize applications.

Does anyone know if I can run this script from the command line (I guess it's update.py?) in order to try the "force" option suggested by the error message?

macnugget

Dabbler
The process outlined in this post fixed my glitch:
  1. Reboot
  2. Remove the ix-applications dataset
  3. Apps -> Settings -> Advanced Settings; Select Force & Save
  4. Apps -> Settings-> Choose Pool; Select the desired pool