App Service fails to lookup bridge interface during boot after upgrade to TNS 23.10.1

RARgames

Cadet
Here is my quick fix for it:
1) Access shell
2) crontab -e
3) Add
@Reboot sleep 60 && cli -c 'app kubernetes update configure_gpus=false' && cli -c 'app kubernetes update configure_gpus=true
at the end of the file, save and reboot (apps service will start correctly now).

Also I tried system settings/advanced:
- init scripts - not working for some reason
- cron jobs - cannot configure reboot cron job using a menu

RARgames

Cadet
Correct command:
@reboot sleep 60 && cli -c 'app kubernetes update configure_gpus=false' && cli -c 'app kubernetes update configure_gpus=true'

MrCaspan

Dabbler
I am having the same issue

Just as an FYI for everyone the GPU setting has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The issue seems to be that the bridge interface is not ready when the kubernetes engin starts up. The reson why people are suggesting to uncheck the GPU settings is becasue by unchecking the GPU support it restarts the app engine (kubernetes) by the time you do this your bridge interface has had enough time to get up and running so kubernetes can successfuly start. BUT you have to check it again to put your settings back to its original settings. Basically you are restarting the kubernetes service twice by doing this. no real harm in that but it takes some time to restart it twice. This is why adding a cron job like RARgames in the post above mentions is becuase the cron job is doing this for you 60 seconds after a reboot.

So I would argue that you should just run the command to start the service if you are using a cron job. I know nothing about the kubernetes service so I am not sure what that commnad would be but it seems the better thing to do here. OR if in the GUI you can do this faster by going to `Apps > Settings > Unset Pool` this stops the kubernetes engine (if it was running but its not so its almost instant) then select `Choose Pool` and select your app pool again which starts the kubernetes engine.

I am awaiting a fix as well! I will post this thread on the DIscord for other users to read!

PyCoder

Dabbler
I am having the same issue

Just as an FYI for everyone the GPU setting has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The issue seems to be that the bridge interface is not ready when the kubernetes engin starts up. The reson why people are suggesting to uncheck the GPU settings is becasue by unchecking the GPU support it restarts the app engine (kubernetes) by the time you do this your bridge interface has had enough time to get up and running so kubernetes can successfuly start. BUT you have to check it again to put your settings back to its original settings. Basically you are restarting the kubernetes service twice by doing this. no real harm in that but it takes some time to restart it twice. This is why adding a cron job like RARgames in the post above mentions is becuase the cron job is doing this for you 60 seconds after a reboot.

So I would argue that you should just run the command to start the service if you are using a cron job. I know nothing about the kubernetes service so I am not sure what that commnad would be but it seems the better thing to do here. OR if in the GUI you can do this faster by going to `Apps > Settings > Unset Pool` this stops the kubernetes engine (if it was running but its not so its almost instant) then select `Choose Pool` and select your app pool again which starts the kubernetes engine.

I am awaiting a fix as well! I will post this thread on the DIscord for other users to read!

You didn't read it well.

The GPU "thing" is a workaround to restart kubernetes services, which failed at start if a bridge is present.

MrCaspan

Dabbler
You didn't read it well.

The GPU "thing" is a workaround to restart kubernetes services, which failed at start if a bridge is present.
There is no need to be rude to people helping. I am just putting it in a bit more plane English and explaining it exactly so other can understand the issue and why everyone keeps saying the GPU thing . If you want to be rude then maybe support forums are not for you

PyCoder

Dabbler
There is no need to be rude to people helping. I am just putting it in a bit more plane English and explaining it exactly so other can understand the issue and why everyone keeps saying the GPU thing . If you want to be rude then maybe support forums are not for you
How is that rude?

The whole thread is about the same issue you have and the gpu thing is a workaround, we know it has nothing to do with the gpu itself, but there isn't any better solution for the moment.

help!

Explorer
Same issue i thinbk

Failed to start kubernetes cluster for Applications: [EFAULT] Unable to configure node: Containerd socket is not available​

2024-03-18 20:32:10 (Europe/Londo

MrCaspan

Dabbler
hey, I'm curious if anybody else can test this. I'm not sure if it's just my instance or the same result on everyone else. If I restart my server this problem happens. but if I shut it down and manually start it back up again, the problem doesn't happen. I was doing some hardware upgrades yesterday and when I turned it back on I realized I didn't get the email saying that the service failed and I looked and it came up as expected. The first thing I thought is they fixed it but then I realized I don't have any auto updates turned on so it's still the same OS. Then I realized the only thing I did different was I turned the machine off and then turned it back on. I've updated the ticket with the debug information after doing a shutdown and a restart, so hopefully this narrows the problem down but I'm just curious if others see the same symptom.

MrCaspan

Dabbler
Thanks... this makes me wonder what is different (OS software wise) between a reboot vs a hard shut down then power up?

jambono5

Cadet
Tried a few things here:

Shutdown / Manual power on
Adding systemd config mentioned previous to k3s also tried with the kube-router service (which also seemed to struggle to start) too just in case that helped, no luck.

Code:
[Unit]
After=network.target
Requires=br0.device

I tried re-creating the bridge with a different name, given someone mentioned their database seemed to have some confusion with the bridge name.

I can manually reconfigure the network settings for Kubernetes once the system is booted. But as soon as the system reboots, the networking fails and my app completely disappears, which isn't ideal.

I'm not to savy wit Kubernetes to know how there system modules stitch and the correct order they should load. I wonder if the bridge is reporting as up, but isn't quite resolving addresses which then causes Kubernetes' networking to fail.

Black_Duck

Explorer
This appears to be (finally) fixed in Dragonfish (24.04 RC1). I've only run it in a test VM, but it appears to work every time - on a hard boot or restart.

Black_Duck

Explorer
So disappointing. I upgraded my TrueNAS to Dragonfish 24.01 RC1 to solve this problem, but it's still occurring. Works fine in a VM, but suspect that's because of different timings with network startup and Kubernetes startup.
I haven't raised a ticket as I had to revert to Cobia as my Time Machine Backup was also failing :frown:.
I'll take another look at both issues later when I have some time, but for now, I can report that the problem is not fixed in Dragonfish - at least for me.

MrCaspan

Dabbler
That's too bad.. they have gone dead on my ticket. No replies no updates...