Bridge to connect VM to NAS

ctbalk

Dabbler
I am trying to add a network bridge to connect a TrueNAS Scale pool to a VM created in TrueNAS.

I've read several discussions on this and other forums. From what I gather, this is a largely unresolved issue with a few people able to get it to work applying a few tricks, but I have been unsuccessful so far after several days of testing and research.

I'm running TrueNAS Scale 22.02.2.1 on a Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2440 v2, 64GB RAM, 4x 3TB z1 (raid 5)

Below is the "best" setup I have tried so far but inevitably, after transferring the static IP from the network interface to the bridge, the interface temporarily becomes unavailable until it reverts back to having the static IP set to the NIC. I have also tried rebooting after each stage but it doesn't make a difference.

I also tried setting this up in the physical machine interface, it saved but before and after a reboot, I was unable to access the web gui.

Any suggestions would be helpful. So, this is my procedure I gleaned from several others, I use a static IP set up in my firewall, of course:

interface = main network interface for TrueNAS

1. Set default route (gateway)
Select network > global configuration > edit > default gateway: 192.168.10.1

2. Set static ip
Select interface (main network) > DHCP = disable, add ip address = static ip > save > test changes > save
At this point, you should still be logged into the interface using the same IP. If you entered it wrong, it'll revert in 60 seconds.

3. Add bridge
Select network > add > type = bridge > name = (start with br), bridge members = interface DHCP = disable > save > test changes > save

4. Transfer static ip to bridge
select network > interface > remove static ip > save
DO NOT CLICK TEST CHANGES AT THIS POINT!
Select bridge > bridge members = interface > add ip addresss = static ip

I was able to get the furthest by configuring it in the physical interface, but it bricked the web gui access.

fmacharett

Cadet
I am trying to add a network bridge to connect a TrueNAS Scale pool to a VM created in TrueNAS.

I've read several discussions on this and other forums. From what I gather, this is a largely unresolved issue with a few people able to get it to work applying a few tricks, but I have been unsuccessful so far after several days of testing and research.

I'm running TrueNAS Scale 22.02.2.1 on a Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2440 v2, 64GB RAM, 4x 3TB z1 (raid 5)

Below is the "best" setup I have tried so far but inevitably, after transferring the static IP from the network interface to the bridge, the interface temporarily becomes unavailable until it reverts back to having the static IP set to the NIC. I have also tried rebooting after each stage but it doesn't make a difference.

I also tried setting this up in the physical machine interface, it saved but before and after a reboot, I was unable to access the web gui.

Any suggestions would be helpful. So, this is my procedure I gleaned from several others, I use a static IP set up in my firewall, of course:

interface = main network interface for TrueNAS

1. Set default route (gateway)
Select network > global configuration > edit > default gateway: 192.168.10.1

2. Set static ip
Select interface (main network) > DHCP = disable, add ip address = static ip > save > test changes > save
At this point, you should still be logged into the interface using the same IP. If you entered it wrong, it'll revert in 60 seconds.

3. Add bridge
Select network > add > type = bridge > name = (start with br), bridge members = interface DHCP = disable > save > test changes > save

4. Transfer static ip to bridge
select network > interface > remove static ip > save
DO NOT CLICK TEST CHANGES AT THIS POINT!
Select bridge > bridge members = interface > add ip addresss = static ip

I was able to get the furthest by configuring it in the physical interface, but it bricked the web gui access.
I faced the exact same and only managed to complete the configuration by plugging in a monitor to the NAS and using "option 1" (Configure Network Interfaces) on the screen.

After completing the step 4 (in ctbalk's, procedure) using the monitor plugged in, I had to reboot the NAS to have it applied and the Web UI access restored. It seems some bug requires a reboot to complete this step, meaning that it's just not possible to do it via the WEB UI, cause it will always revert back the changes, as a reboot won't be triggered automatically to properly apply the new configs.