Anyone using PCIE to M2 adapter cards?

xCatalystx

Contributor
Hello Everyone,

So I will be doing an upgrade to my hardware at some stage over the coming weeks before x-mas. One of the things I am thinking of doing is swapping my boot 2.5" SSD for m2 sata ssds (as I have a heap of 120gb ones from client/fam upgrades)

Has anyone here used any of the PCIE to M2 adapters single or dual (dual would be better) as I have free slots on my current and future board, and likely not to use them for anything (as I use only 1 slot of SFP+ card + 1 HBA, won't even need the SPF+ card on the new boards I'm looking at).

Doing this would free up 2 existing sata ports I was using for the dual 2.5" ssds, which means I can use them for something else.

Alecmascot

Guru
I have been using a similar product for a number of years in two Freenas severs and a PFSense firewall.
I use 32GB SSDs
They have been 100% reliable.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Only NVME from Supermicro. You can find the product in my signature. They work great.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hello Everyone,

So I will be doing an upgrade to my hardware at some stage over the coming weeks before x-mas. One of the things I am thinking of doing is swapping my boot 2.5" SSD for m2 sata ssds (as I have a heap of 120gb ones from client/fam upgrades)

Has anyone here used any of the PCIE to M2 adapters single or dual (dual would be better) as I have free slots on my current and future board, and likely not to use them for anything (as I use only 1 slot of SFP+ card + 1 HBA, won't even need the SPF+ card on the new boards I'm looking at).

Doing this would free up 2 existing sata ports I was using for the dual 2.5" ssds, which means I can use them for something else.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...donics-ad3m2spx4-m-2-to-pcie-converter.39735/

This does *NOT* have an onboard AHCI controller but *does* have an NVMe slot in addition to the two SATA M.2-to-SATA slots. This is very useful on systems where you are looking for some way to mount some SSD's that doesn't take up extra bays.

Startech also sells the same card as PEXM2SAT32N1