Anyone using i3-7350K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticCobra

Cadet
I've been considering a FreeNAS build for a while, and Cyber Monday got me seriously thinking about it again. This is for a mid-range home build. This is my first foray into FreeNAS, and I'm not yet certain how I may ultimately use it.

I am probably going to go the i3/LGA1151 route, and was considering the i3-6300, but noticed that the i3-7350K is only $20 more. From a FreeNAS perspective, it looks to be essentially identical in capability to the 6300, but with a faster clock speed. TDP is 60W vs. 51W for 6300. 7350K supports Optane, but I think that's irrelevant for FreeNAS.

Is there any other consideration here besides price, speed, and TDP?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
ECC support?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MysticCobra

Cadet
Per the ARK and the product spec summary page, the 7350K supports ECC. (8th gen i3's do not.) However, I know the ARK has had errors in the past, and there was some question about whether the Kaby Lake i3's would or would not support ECC, so that's one reason I'm asking. Would love to hear someone post and say, "Yeah, I'm running a 7350K system with ECC."

Edit: Looks like when this processor was first announced, the ARK indicated no ECC support. However, now the ARK does indicate ECC support. Perhaps the same sort of deal the Kaby Lake Pentiums went through? https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/surprise-surprise-kaby-lake-pentiums-support-ecc.54748/

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sounds good. What do you want to put with it?

MysticCobra

Cadet
Here's my thinking so far (all prices from Amazon):

Fractal Design Node 804 ($140)
i3-7350K ($150)
Supermicro X11SSH-F ($236)
Already have 4 fresh WD 3TB Reds ready to go into whatever I build

Need to pick a power supply.
Need to choose between DDR3 and DDR4 memory. Might be silly to get the better CPU and cripple it with slower RAM.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If I recall correctly, that system board requires ddr4.

Status
Not open for further replies.