New build power efficiency + decent speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not sure it's hate.

What I'm feeling is drive prices are getting ridiculously low - 4TB for $120. (Old dude here: my first hard drive was 20 megabytes for $600.)

With storage prices that low, mirrors are really appealing. Four drives in a mirrored stripe have twice the performance of RAIDZ2 with the same amount of available space.

I also see FreeNAS as being easier to expand using mirrors. In the above example, I can go from 8TB to 12TB in the same pool just by adding a pair of 4TB drives. (Though, with six drives, RAIDZ2 looks a lot more appealing; in a home or small office environment, space is usually more important than performance.)

{shurg}

Cheers,
Matt
Sure, but I've seen a lot of pseudo-technical reasons floating around lately. Like that weird "complictions" argument above.
Four drives in a mirrored stripe have twice the performance of RAIDZ2 with the same amount of available space.
They're not as reliable though, which I guesstimate to be more important to most people, given that RAIDZ2 performance is fine already.

-Adam-

Dabbler
I don't think that it's about performance - couple of Mb/s do not make any difference in normal environment. I, personally, got most doubt after reading the cyberjock's elaborate about how non-ecc ram can destroy the poll and in the end make all data unrecoverable. If I can divide my data into pools - I will do that if there is a slight possibility of an error.

Coming back to the main topic - I was mailing with local distributor and we finally agreed on 2 potential setups:
  1. Supermicro X11SSL-F + Pentium G4400 + Samsung (2Rx8) 288-pin DDR4 Unbuffered DIMM with ECC 1Gx72 (2Rx8), PC4-19200 + 6x3TB WDRED
  2. Supermicro A1SRi-2558F + 16GB ECC RAM (not specified yet) + 6x3TB WDRED
The second setup is super tempting since the Atom is VERY power efficient and has passive cooling, but I can't find many opinions on this forum how reliable this board is. If you have any experience with Supermicro Atom bards - plase help.

Status
Not open for further replies.