Any plan of implementing Distributed/Clustered file system in near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbaror

Contributor
Hello

I am a quite veteran FreeNas user for now , we are using FreeNas in our production which is SMB sized for several years and happy with it .
Today situation is that we have few of FreeNas boxes and from time to time there is a need of changing completely the box due of luck of space , so either we changing controller and disks or only disks or completely the box to bigger one.
Two years ago we got an Isilon storage for validation for one of our customers and i realy liked the idea behind scale-up scale-out Distributed/Clustered file system , and started to look for similar open-source projects and found out there are few of them like
My goal is to build such big storage scale-up scale-out without the need to breake the system and rebuilt it again and in such way gain more space and performance.
So my question would be is there any near road-map for implemnting such technology in Freenas box?
Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right now, no chance at all. FreeNAS is all about running ZFS on local hardware, and that's where it stands for the forseeable future. That may change someday, but definitely not anytime soon.

And you can be 100% sure that any file system that isn't heavily supported on FreeBSD will never ever be available on FreeNAS.

If those are supported in FreeBSD you are welcome to put in a feature ticket at bugs.freenas.org. Just don't be surprised if it's set to "future" or "not gonna happen".

tbaror

Contributor
Thanks for the answer
:(That to bad ,we really counted on some kind of HPC with Freenas since its seems to be the future of storage's

Oko

Contributor
Thanks for the answer
:(That to bad ,we really counted on some kind of HPC with Freenas since its seems to be the future of storage's
I fail to see how is your forum post related to your business plans. Why don't you contact IX systems through formal business chanels. Also why frown face because you got an answer from a person who is unaffiliated to FreeNAS apart of the fact that his is forum regular/moderator. With all due respect who cares what he thinks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh, I just had to give you "lulz" for that comment. I'm much more involved than you realize. ;)

Posted 1 mile from iX HQ

Whattteva

Wizard
I can sort of see that happening for iX Systems' TrueNAS since that's built specifically for enterprise purposes.
But it's totally out of the scope of FreeNAS that I think the chance of it appearing on FreeNAS is probably close to zilch.

Status
Not open for further replies.