Any ETA for an 11.3-BETA? 11.2 soon to be deprecated by upstream (FreeBSD)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The support model changed a few years ago. From the FreeBSD site:
Under the current support model, each major version's stable branch is explicitly supported for 5 years, while each individual point release is only supported for three months after the next point release.
The details and rationale behind this model can be found in the official announcement sent in February 2015.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I could be wrong as I only really dabble in FreeBSD admin... I thought the change in package support was based on major releases, not minor.

The package cluster will switch to building 11.3 packages for the "11" train after 11.2 has reached EOL. Which will be this week.

You can run 11.x packages with x <= 3 on FreeBSD 11.3. You cannot (in general, somtimes it's only shell scripts or other interpreted stuff) run 11.3 packages on any 11.x with x < 3.

So at the end of this week we are without updates for all our jails on production FreeNAS.

I will file a proper bug report as soon as that has happened - since only then will I have any output from failing commands.

Kind regards,
Patrick

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
I don't care about any new features of FreeNAS 11.3 - 11.2 does everything I need. IMHO the development model must start to separate feature releases from the underlying FreeBSD version. So that we can have e.g. FreeNAS 11.2-U7 based on a FreeBSD 11.3 system.
Well I care so now what :] As far i remember the FreeNAS 11.3 should bring us a major improvement in VNET and in Network/VLAN/Jails management directly from GUI. Personally i am still on FreeNAS 9.10.2 because VLAN works flawlessly there. There was a lot of threads regarding issues with VLANs on 11.2 so i did not upgraded so far. (If it works do not touch it?)
And i am perfectly OK with the fact that DEVs are working on the network management improvements for 11.3 rather than spending time on 11.2 since it is going sunset very soon. Yes i understand that one could say "give us 11.3.0 w/o new stuff and then work on 11.3.1 as a feature release" but if the work is already in progress it has to be finished otherwise we will end up in Coral fiasco again (half-working new stuff and half-broken old things...).

Progress can be seen in Jira (6 open issues for BETA1, 33 open issues for BETA2). I hope we will get RC soon to play with :]

//EDIT: Forgot to mention that i completely understand the concerns about 11.2 being EOL and "no more updates for pkgs". But still i am OK to wait longer even with "obsolete" pkg version as long as the 11.3 come in polished state.

Last edited: