Anticipated Cloudsync S3 costs (and/or others?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim1962

Patron
I am currently on 11.0-U4 but see mention of S3 cloudsync coming to 11.1 release...

What I have never got my head around is the real world cost of S3 for a home user keen on security.

Basically I have a slowly growing 3Tb of data stored on my FreeNAS nice and stable (4disk Raidz2, ECC Ram, main risk factor is the user!). I want to offsite an archive that hopefully I will never use to restore (If FreeNAS fails I guess) ?Glacial?

Currently I am backing up locally to FreeNAS (URBackup) but separately to Crashplan from each PC/Laptop, as my offsite solution.

When I go for it will Cloudsync do the offsite bit for me and will it cost less that Crashplan (and how do I calculate it in this scenario) (Is there a simple home user explanation for S3 somewhere?)

BW Tim

styno

Patron
According to the Backblaze dashboard, my 309.7 GB test to B2 will be $1.14 /month.

Tim1962

Patron
Thanks that link is very useful though not entirely clear how much "churn" there would be if used with FreeNAS and I "calculated" recovery based on a single "recovery month" of the whole system (unlikely!). I THINK that CP till comes out ahead due to billing certainty (Free upload download) if nothing else... But I'll keep an eye out thanks

millst

Contributor
It's not really the churn that matters. The calculator is just using the difference between delete/upload to determine how much your data is growing each month. That increases the monthly storage cost.

I'm not too concerned about recovery costs since the chances of that are so low. Of course, that analysis is different for everybody.

As far as monthly costs for static data, Crashplan is a deal when you start approaching 2TB. Before that, B2 is cheaper. The other providers are only reasonable up to 0.5TB. Of course, that cost is just a part of the overall decision.

-tm

Tim1962

Patron
Aha,

So understanding the calculator a bit better now (thanks)

If I upload 3Tb data and then keep swapping and not growing the size I get 15USD per month.

If I download it all (3Tb) one month I get a 60USD one off cost... That starts to make (financial) sense

I'll await 11.1 and make a choice.

Cheers

millst

Contributor
If you're in a hurry and/or your data is expensive, they'll mail you a HD with your data for $189.

-tm

Status
Not open for further replies.