Does uploading to S3 continue after closing Putty? And two more questions regarding Amazon S3

Status
Not open for further replies.

donsev

Explorer
Hello,

I used this guide to begin the long backup process of my FreeNAS to Amazon's storage. Unfortunately (or maybe not?) I started the command

Code:
s3cmd -v sync /mnt/ s3://MyBucket

using SSH, specifically via Putty, on my home PC.

1. If I quit Putty, will backup continue? Or will it completely stop (as I noticed it would if using the GUI shell)? If it stops, and I start it again on my machine with the help of a monitor and keyboard, will it continue from where it left off or start completely over?
  2. As a side question, is there anyway I could automate this process? For example, to upload any new files to Amazon once a month?
  3. And finally, I'm assuming my data is not automatically encrypted by Amazon and that it will remain in its original unencrypted state if I haven't done so manually. If this is correct, will directing FreeNAS to encrypt the hard drives and then upload data to Amazon make FreeNAS encrypted versions of my data? Or is it only the physical hardware itself that is encrypted?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FWIW, FreeNAS 11 has some sort of S3 support added, so that's what you should be looking at.

As for your question, applications are fork()ed from the shell and killing the shell will kill running applications. The way around this is to use a suitable terminal emulator, like tmux.

And finally, I'm assuming my data is not automatically encrypted by Amazon and that it will remain in its original unencrypted state if I haven't done so manually. If this is correct, will directing FreeNAS to encrypt the hard drives and then upload data to Amazon make FreeNAS encrypted versions of my data? Or is it only the physical hardware itself that is encrypted?
No, it's just disk encryption.

Encrypted off-site backups will be made possible with native ZFS encryption, which is being worked on and will allow you to zfs send encrypted data to a remote server, where it will stay encrypted.

donsev

Explorer
FWIW, FreeNAS 11 has some sort of S3 support added, so that's what you should be looking at.

As for your question, applications are fork()ed from the shell and killing the shell will kill running applications. The way around this is to use a suitable terminal emulator, like tmux.

No, it's just disk encryption.

Encrypted off-site backups will be made possible with native ZFS encryption, which is being worked on and will allow you to zfs send encrypted data to a remote server, where it will stay encrypted.
Thank you, I went ahead and upgraded to FreeNAS 11 stable. Will look around in there and see what I can find.

Have you considered HashBackup or Rclone?

I have not, but they both look promising. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll fool around a bit tomorrow and see what I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.