Another windows permission problem

tvo.psc

Dabbler
Relatively new to FreeNAS. Have created a windows share on a virtual machine following exactly the video provided by MOnkey on Samba shares frequently referred to in this forum. I can open the share no problem on three of the four computers in my small office setting, all running on Windows 10. On the other computer I can see the shared folder in windows Explorer, but cannot access the folder with windows not accepting the same user and password which works fine on the other three devices.

Initially, the windows security was suggesting the user name Master which is not one of the users on the current FreeNAS machine, but was a user name utilized on a previous unsuccessful share. Clicking more choices and entering a current user name and password was not helpful. Thinking that windows had somehow memorized earlier credentials, I went to the credentials manager in Control Panel and deleted an existing credential to that IP address which did list Master as the user name. When I again attempted to connect to the shared folder, Master was no longer suggested as the user, but neither of the two users or passwords were accepted, again even though both work on the other windows machines. Rebooting has had no effect. Thinking that windows may somehow have retained some credentials to that particular IP address, I changed to a new static IP address, but still cannot access the share with windows it is indicating my password is wrong.

Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (3).png

I feel that this is clearly a windows issue and not a FreeNAS problem, but I think this forum is my best chance of finding a solution. I have searched through the network settings and windows services on the computer in question and cannot find any discrepancies compared to the devices which are working fine. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    11.7 KB · Views: 444
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    11.4 KB · Views: 316

l@e

Contributor
From cmd as administrator:

net use * /delete

This would clear any credential remembered.
A restart or logout is also what you can do.
And try to login again to the share

l@e

Contributor

tvo.psc

Dabbler
To I@e: Thanks but unfortunately your suggestion did not work. It did result in a different error message

Screenshot (6).png

tvo.psc

Dabbler
Seymour Butt your link looks promising. May not have an opportunity to check it out completely for a few days. Thanks.

Can you provide the following information as well? I'm aware of several threads grappling with SMB issues.
1. Is the version (and build) of Windows running on the rogue PC the same as the other three? eg. Windows 10 Home (build 1709), Windows 10 Pro, etc.
2. What version of FreeNAS are you using 11.1 or earlier, or 11.2? If you are using 11.2, which is experiencing some issues around SMB, assuming you upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2, have you tried booting back into 11.1 to see if the problem persists?
3. When you look at the users and permissions that have access to the share, what do you see from a working PC? the rogue PC? Right click on the share and look under the security tab.
4. If you're using 11.2, check the Known Impacts section of https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-2-u2/ to see if any apply.

Last edited:

l@e

Contributor
@tvo.psc Try sharing a folder from one of other W machine you have and access it from this one with problems. Maybe there is some setting that is not allowing sharing at all. Also you might follow the packet flow with woreshark to see if auth is sent to FN.

tvo.psc

Dabbler
Can you provide the following information as well? I'm aware of several threads grappling with SMB issues.
1. Is the version (and build) of Windows running on the rogue PC the same as the other three? eg. Windows 10 Home (build 1709), Windows 10 Pro, etc.
2. What version of FreeNAS are you using 11.1 or earlier, or 11.2? If you are using 11.2, which is experiencing some issues around SMB, assuming you upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2, have you tried booting back into 11.1 to see if the problem persists?
3. When you look at the users and permissions that have access to the share, what do you see from a working PC? the rogue PC? Right click on the share and look under the security tab.
4. If you're using 11.2, check the Known Impacts section of https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-2-u2/ to see if any apply.

1) the three working machines are running on 10 Pro version 17134, 10 Home version 17134 and 10 Home version 17763. The rogue PC operates on 10 Pro version 17763.

2) FreeNAS version 11.2 was released less than one week after I started with freeNAS. I never created a successful share with version 11.1, and decided to perform a fresh clean install of version 11.2 and start from scratch. I do not have a version 11.1 option in my boot log.

3) on the working machines I am able to see the group and users and their permissions, but not on the rogue machine.

PSCAux share.png
Screenshot (8).png

If I can get to the bottom of this discrepancy, the problem would likely be solved. I had no luck with the suggestions contained within the link you sent to me in your initial response. I suspect some setting on the rogue machine in one of the Windows services or network settings is the cause of the problem, but cannot identify any differences. A reset or reinstall of Windows may very well solve the problem, but I would like to avoid that step as the so-called rogue machine is the PC that I work off of and it has quite a bit of non-Microsoft software that I would prefer to not have to reinstall.

Have you tried accessing the FreeNAS from a different profile on the rogue PC? If that works, then it's likely you have a corrupted Windows profile. If it doesn't, it at least eliminates the user profiles as the source of error.

tvo.psc

Dabbler
Have you tried accessing the FreeNAS from a different profile on the rogue PC? If that works, then it's likely you have a corrupted Windows profile. If it doesn't, it at least eliminates the user profiles as the source of error.

Yes. Just today I added a new user on the rogue PC with my Microsoft/hotmail username and password. Also changed one of the users on the freeNAS share to have the same username and password and email address, but no luck.

Just so I'm clear, user U1 can access shared from three of the four PCs, but not the fourth?

tvo.psc

Dabbler
Can you provide output of testparm -s and id <username trying to access the share>

I entered those commands in the shell within FreeNAS GUI with following output (I have not set up putty or other method to SSH):

[shared]
path = "/mnt/FreeNASVol1/shared"
read only = No
veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr
zfsacl:acesort = dontcare
nfs4:chown = true
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:mode = special

[root@freenas ~]# id user1
uid=1000(user1) gid=1000(users) groups=1000(users),1001(shared),1002(private)

tvo.psc

Dabbler
Can you provide output of getfacl /mnt/FreeNASVol1/shared and net groupmap list

[root@freenas ~]# getfacl /mnt/FreeNASVol1/shared
# file: /mnt/FreeNASVol1/shared
# owner: user1
# group: shared
group@:rwxp-daARWc---:fd-----:allow
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd-----:allow
[root@freenas ~]# net groupmap list
Environment LOGNAME is not defined. Trying anonymous access.
users (S-1-5-21-1059828769-753519628-2512994261-1000) -> users
private (S-1-5-21-1059828769-753519628-2512994261-1004) -> private
shared (S-1-5-21-1059828769-753519628-2512994261-1001) -> shared