Another new user tasting FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

UdoB

Dabbler
Hello,

while I'm already lurking around in this forum for a few weeks I would like to introduce myself now.

My use case is basically trivial as this is just another small-family-at-home situation.

In the past I run a Linux-based file server. An upgrade (or a replacement...) was overdue for some time now. In November I started playing with 9.3-beta. First inside a VM. When I learned - mainly by reading this forum - that a VM is definitely not recommended for production I switched to hardware. Now I am happily running 9.3-STABLE on a ProLiant machine:
  • HP ML-310e with Xeon E3-1220 and 16 GiB ECC
  • 2 * 3.0 TB Caviar Red - Mirrored
  • 2 * 4.0 TB Caviar Red - Mirrored
  • 2 * 8 GB Kingston USB Sticks - Mirrored
  • a very small APC UPS - only for a clean shutdown
For the amount of data I own this is already overkill: my "real" data is less than 2 TB - mostly family pictures/videos and an ancient CD collection. Nevertheless I am already running a second machine for replication and for backups - I know the difference...

My confession is basically "Debian+Ubuntu only" for more than 15 years now. This includes my main desktop, some other computers, several virtual machines and also the PC and Laptop of my son!

But of course I a have a Windows computer for playing games once in a while and to run software not available on Linux (which unfortunately includes the official tax software here in Germany). A second Windows instance is running as a virtual machine on an ESXi-system - just to manage exactly that (free) ESXi with the vSphere client.

For some reason I decided to go the Active-Directory road with FreeNAS. And... everything works! My Linux clients (connected mainly by sssd and pam_mount) have some problems with FreeNAS' shares mounted via CIFS though. This isn't completely satisfying yet, especially in $HOME. Currently my Debian desktop lost the capability to run Pulseaudio because of "E: [autospawn] core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory: Permission denied". But as long as Alsa works I can live with that one ;-)

Last but not least I would like to thank iXsystems for keeping this cool software freely available!

Best regards from Germany

EDIT the next day: my PulseAudio problem has already been solved by running a system-wide daemon ("system-instance = yes") instead of running separate instances per user.

Last edited:

ITGuy1024

Explorer
Welcome mate!

DVitoD

Explorer
Das wurde Ich auch sagen: herzlich willkommen auf diese Seite :D

Status
Not open for further replies.