And suddenly!... nothing works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackpostich

Cadet
So I love FreeNAS (when it works) and I have had some errors that have for the most part, sorted them selves out with a quick reboot. But not this time.

So after I was unable to connect to my drives and my webGUI a few hours ago, I did what I usually do and restarted the server, waited a few minutes, a found that still nothing works. After a few frustrating restarts, still nothing worked. After changing some settings and messing with this and that. I said screw it and decided to do a fresh install of FreeNAS on my USB drive.

The new install was successful and booted up like a charm but still, I can't access the webGUI, and I can't find my drives (though, there aren't any anymore).

When ever I access the default port the FreeNAS says is the web user interface (192.168.1.101) it either doesn't load at all, times out, or takes 20-30 minutes to load a few words and an icon. Same with the drives, my computer can't seem to access \\freenas which is what I have the drives set to.

I don't have the slightest clue how to start working on this and I'm stumped on why the fresh install didn't fix it.

PLEASE HELP.

paleoN

Wizard
What version of FreeNAS are you running?

Can you hook a monitor up to your FreeNAS box? That might show some error. You could also try a different USB drive.

You won't see your pool on a fresh install until you auto-import it. Which is usually done via the GUI.

jackpostich

Cadet
I do have a monitor on it and there are no errors when trying to access the gui or the drives. Also the box is completely up to date FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p2-x86.

joeschmuck

Old Man
How about giving us some specs on your system for starters. RAM/MB/Network Controller, etc...

How long have you been using FreeNAS 8.0.4 ?

So I assume since you did a fresh install that you used the IP address provided at the boot screen on the FreeNAS console?

Also, have you made ANY changes to you network, router, anything at all in the recent past? It doesn't make sense that the network connectivity just died unless you had a hardware failure or something changed on your network. If it were a FreeNAS software issue a reboot would have cleared it up.

jackpostich

Cadet
How about giving us some specs on your system for starters. RAM/MB/Network Controller, etc...

How long have you been using FreeNAS 8.0.4 ?

So I assume since you did a fresh install that you used the IP address provided at the boot screen on the FreeNAS console?

Also, have you made ANY changes to you network, router, anything at all in the recent past? It doesn't make sense that the network connectivity just died unless you had a hardware failure or something changed on your network. If it were a FreeNAS software issue a reboot would have cleared it up.

It's running on an old Dell Dimension 2400 http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

3.0 GHz Pentium 4 Dual Core
2 GB DDR2 RAM
FreeNAS installed on 3GB USB Stick
1 300GB USB HDD
1 80GB Internal IDE HDD

I've been running FreeNAS perfectly for about two weeks or so and like I said, when there were problems, a reboot always fixed it.

I no I didn't change anything, got back home after a three day vacation and decided to stream a movie from the NAS to my XBMC media center (which is what I've always been using it for) when the movie was finished I tried watch another one, but it didn't connect, tried to open the drives on my windows machine: didn't connect, tried to view the GUI, didn't load. So I reset the server and it still did the same thing. Kept reseting it and still didnt work. Completely reinstalled the OS and still has the same problems.

Here are the results from my PING test from my Linksys router

PING 192.168.1.101 ( 192.168.1.101 ) : 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0, ttl=64 times=0. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=1, ttl=64 times=0. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=2, ttl=64 times=0. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=3, ttl=64 times=0. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=4, ttl=64 times=0. ms
--- 192.168.1.101 ping statistics ---
packets transmitted = 5 , packets received = 5 packet loss = 0%
round-trip min/avg/max = 0/0/0

So I'm guessing it is a network thing. But I'm not sure what it could be... I have the NASbox port forwarded, but that shouldn't matter in the first place, so I don't know

joeschmuck

Old Man
First thing, although I know FreeNAS will "run" on your machine, you really don't have enough RAM to support it. I hope you are not using ZFS formatted drives because you really need more RAM to support ZFS reliably. 4 GB is really the minimum if you want a stable system. If you prefer to just run the 2GB then you might consider FreeNAS .7x vice 8.x. It's mature and will likely do everything you desire but it is installed on the hard drive vice USB stick.

Next thing... Did you setup a static IP address in your FreeNAS configuration? If not, you really should so you maintain the same IP address. DHCP makes it more difficult to keep things straight.

If you could post your IP configuration that will hopefully be helpful.

jackpostich

Cadet
First thing, although I know FreeNAS will "run" on your machine, you really don't have enough RAM to support it. I hope you are not using ZFS formatted drives because you really need more RAM to support ZFS reliably. 4 GB is really the minimum if you want a stable system. If you prefer to just run the 2GB then you might consider FreeNAS .7x vice 8.x. It's mature and will likely do everything you desire but it is installed on the hard drive vice USB stick.

Next thing... Did you setup a static IP address in your FreeNAS configuration? If not, you really should so you maintain the same IP address. DHCP makes it more difficult to keep things straight.

If you could post your IP configuration that will hopefully be helpful.

Okay, but FreeNAS was running perfectly on my system for a good two to three weeks before this started happening, and where would I find Freenas 0.7 on the internet? Can't seem to find any mirrors or old download links...

Also, I don't need to set a static Ip really because the server is hooked in by wire to my router which assigns the internal IP by port (port 1: 192.168.1.101, port 2:192.168.1.102 etc)

I'm not sure really how to get the IP config that you need, but heres what I found:
%ifconfig
bfe0: flags=8843<UP, BROADCAST, RUNNING, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=80008<VLAN_MTU, LINKSTATE>
ether 00:0d:56:10:b9:f1
inet 192.168.1.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)

lo0: flags=8049<UP, LOOPBACK, RUNNING, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
options=3<RXCSUM, TXCSUM>
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
inet ::1 prefixlen 128
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD, ACCEPT_RTADV>

%
%

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.