Ancient Hardware will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ummgood

Cadet
Well I tried about a year ago to setup a FreeNAS system using an old linux box I used to use for MythTV. I was able to get the software loaded (version 0.71) and was able to configure a software mirror RAID with 2 barracuda 1TB drives running serial ATA. I had trouble getting my mac to recognize the store and since I have limited time with 2 kids and a wife I lost track of the project and gave up. My wife is now out of town for a week with the kids and I have some time to figure this thing out. My goal is to get some redundant storage for my photography habit. I currently have filled up my iMac with photos (I do perform backups of that machine) but would like to get the FreeNAS box up so I can use it to store my photos.

I just realized that FreeNAS has drastically changed since I last attempted this. That doesn't scare me too much but I am concerned my system configuration might be too old to run FreeNAS 8. I think it is hopeless to run ZFS on this system and was wondering if it would still be possible on FreeNAS 8 to setup a software mirror RAID with my system in this configuration.

Here is the setup:
Storage Hard drives: 2 Barracuda 1TB drives running old SATA 1 protocol
3rd drive: 250GB Western Digital IDE used for FreeNAS 0.71 system.
Motherboard: ECS PT800CE-A
Processor: Intel Pentium 4HT 3.0GHz
Power Supply: Antec 350W
Memory: 512MB

So will this work at all? I know it won't be the best speed but all I need to do is store my photos and be able to view them from my photo editor. Will I be able to setup a software RAID 1?

Thanks!

ohnename

Explorer
The hardware should work for a FN8 32bit installation and a 2*1TB UFS mirror
If you add more RAM, you can try ZFS. On a 32bit system with with a small amount of RAM (2GB), I got it working.

ummgood

Cadet
Thanks!

For now I think I'll try to get it up and running with the hardware and memory I have. I it goes well for about a year then I'll upgrade it at that time to a new chassis with better components and maybe two more drives. I think memory would be hard to obtain for that system at this point (I just can't go down to my local Frys and get it anymore because it is too old) and I have found in the past cheap memory typically is for new or slightly used computers but if you get too far back in age then it gets more expensive.

Plus it only has 2 ram slots so that is a disadvantage. I don't even know if it would support 2GB. 1GB might be its limit.

ummgood

Cadet
I just realized I could get a 2GB kit from Amazon for memory for about 50 bucks and I have prime so it will be here tomorrow thanks! I didn't want to dump more money into it but that wasn't a bad price.

Status
Not open for further replies.