Newbie Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

i am still a bit undecided to go down the PC route v Nas Route and research has lead me here...

i understand 8gb is the min requirement of this software however i was kind of lead to think that a old pc would suffice for this.

I have been looking on ebay for a donor PC or the possibility of a Server rack system

Either
Server Rack
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Powe...540311?hash=item2104bee5d7:g:rywAAOSwL7VWjkdM

Or Desktop
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-DELL...352402?hash=item3f611edd92:g:HXUAAOSw~oFXEBZR

Now i am thinking for the 3.5" drives these of which in the Rack route i would be limited to 4.
http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822149629

I dont know if i can expand the set up like 1 hdd to start then add one to mirror it at a later date

I have been looking at 5.25" bay racks and a pc would allow me to use SATA PCIE cards as it has 2X PCIE X1 with ICcyBox

so i could expand it out to 8 2.5" drives

Ideally i just want a Larger storage Server to store the family media a Photo from my Cam is 60MB and 32Gb of photos from a day out is a reoccurring theme.

say 24TB with 24TB back up and just keep going from starting with a single HDD

I understand i will need PLEX PIA etc to run with the software i just literally have no experience in this side of computers. and what i thought was going to be a cheapish project just keeps racking up in cost

can someone help me in getting a hardware set that isnt going to cost me a kidney?

do i really need to use a FX8350 clocked at 5ghz with 16gb of ram to run this??

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I have two of the CS24-NV7 and one C1100. They are just setting in a corner doing nothing right now. These units get loud, only have 1 PCIe slot and only 4 bays. Noise and Heating will be more of an issue with any 1U.

If you want a Rackmount, look into the C2100/FS12-TY. Will get you 12 bays, runs quiet (if you follow my instructions) and you can mount a couple 2.5" drives inside.

My write on them is here: "Ode to the Dell C2100/FS12-TY". There is a "Turn-Key" offering from a vendor I convinced that will get you a setup for just at $400.00 w/shipping in the US. Since you are overseas, I am not sure of the total cost though.

Last edited:
thats fair enough would you go server rack like the twin quad xeon i posted above ? limits me to 12tb but its better than 12 x 1 tb hdd and can i just add drives after its set up

so for example i buy this right now and pop a 6tb hdd in can i add the mirror drive later or is it fixed only to the drives at start up

Mirfster

thats fair enough would you go server rack like the twin quad xeon i posted above ? limits me to 12tb but its better than 12 x 1 tb hdd and can i just add drives after its set up
Personally I would avoid any 1U altogether (unless you don't mind the noise, heating issues and lack of expansion).

Couple other things on that HP Proliant DL360 G6:
  • Only has 12GB of RAM
    • Wonder if the seller is using small capacity sticks like 12 x 1 GB Sticks?
    • Those (1GB, 2GB or 4GB) sticks are called "Slot Stuffers" because they are eventually useless when you want to increase RAM. Better to have 8GB or higher sticks instead, which leaves expansion options.
  • Can't tell for sure, but those drive trays *may* only take 2.5" drives (should check with the Seller)
    • Don't see any way it could hold 8 x 3.5" drives really... They would be too tall for a 1U I would think
  • Per the "Quick Specs" of that Server
    • Maximum Internal Storage
      Hot Plug SAS 4.8TB (8 x 600GB SAS)
      Hot Plug SATA 4.0TB (8 x 500GB SATA)
Didn't look too much further, but I would pass on it personally.

Mirfster

so for example i buy this right now and pop a 6tb hdd in can i add the mirror drive later or is it fixed only to the drives at start up
While I don't think this is directly possible in the GUI, it is supposed to be able to be done.

Guess the real question is "Why would you want to do this anyways"? If you don't have the funds/parts to do it correctly in the first place, then perhaps you should reconsider the whole venture...

Just don't want you to do it wrong and end up losing vital data, when it can be avoided from the start.

yeah i hear you

the issue is if the mrs sees £1,000 in my account it will go on other things so building it up would have been easier to hide £1,000

will have to pop stuff under the mattress until i can afford the whole outlay in one hit

Mirfster

so i could expand it out to 8 2.5" drives
Just noticed this... Keep in mind that you are going to pay a heck of a lot more for 2.5" drives as opposed to 3.5" drives. Also, the 2.5" drives do not come in the larger capacities that the 3.5" ones do...

I have two Dell 2U Servers that can house 24 x 2.5" drives. However, that are sitting there empty right now since I am waiting for 2.5" drive costs to come down. I have been waiting for at least 6 months and probably will be waiting until early 2017 before I even look at 2.5" drive costs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.