AMD E-450 2x1,65 GHz + FreeNAS 11 + ownCloud + git?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doman18

Dabbler
Ive got NAS setup with OpenMediaVault on Asus E35m1-l with AMD e-350 (braswel) 2 cores 2 threads 1,6GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM and 2x500GB in RAID 1 (LVM). More details here
https://forum.openmediavault.org/in...0-ultrapowersaving-6-disk-Asus-E35m1-l-build/

I wanted to:
1. Switch from LVM to BTRFS/ZFS
2. Switch from Syncthing to ownCloud/Nextcloud
3. Install GIT server (i would love to have Gitlab but this machine will probably kneel down under Gitlab requirements)

Unfortunately i couldnt install ZFS plugin on OMV properly. Probably OMV need to be reinstalled. Also ownCloud/Nextcloud and Git will have to be installed next to OMV because it doesnt have any plugins for them. I have no problem with debian-like linuxes command line but ... im in the best/last moment to make some changes and just looking for better solutions than OMV.

So:
1. Is this setup could handle the FN11+ownCloud+transmission+NFS and up to 2-4TB of pool with 8GB ram? AFAIK this mobo can work with 16GB but i would not want to spend more money than needed.
2. What about older versions of FN?
3. Ive seen some Gitlab instructions for FN, but not for bare GIT-server (CLI version). Is it hard to install it?

1. It will likely have issues with 8GB of ram based on what you want to use. I wouldn't even attempt to use ZFS on another system with that little ram and what you are wanting to do with it.

2. Same with older versions unless you go to a non-ZFS system which you already have so you would have zero gain.

And to be honest I would not even consider installing FreeNAS on that CPU. I ran it as a test system on an Athlon X2 5000+ and it worked as a test bed but nothing I would want to use long term. It was OK as a FreeNAS system alone but adding anything else to it was unstable. You are looking at something even slower.

You will likely be better off picking up an older decommissioned server or other type of system and starting fresh especially since you only have two small drives.

doman18

Dabbler
Im home user anyway so decomissioned server is overkill for me. Mostly because of his hunger for power - i chose Braswell for that reason.

Thanks for reply. I will look some other way to have cloud server with some snapshots and errors correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.