AMD E-350 Thread (now in new forum?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
My stuff has arrived. All i need now is the memory. Anyway,, using the memory of my desktop (2 DDR3 1333 2GB sticks), and without any hard drives, this system has a power consume of 8W :D

LoL ... 8W xD ... I'm curious to final test result, i hope you will give us detailed info ;) ... transfer speed (I/O over CIFS, FTP, NFS, ...), power consumption, ... etc. :)

tigger490

Cadet
My stuff has arrived. All i need now is the memory. Anyway,, using the memory of my desktop (2 DDR3 1333 2GB sticks), and without any hard drives, this system has a power consume of 8W :D :D :D :D

So, according to my UPS my system uses about 80 watts. My drives do not spin down, I am under the impression that these drives don't support that, so I haven't tried turning that on.

B

Bohs Hansen

Hi everyone. My first post here. I have a very similar setup that just came online a couple hours ago.

Setup:
case: Fractal Design Array R2 Mini ITX NAS Case w/ 300W SFX PSU
board: ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe
ram: Corsair XMS3 4gb x2 (WARNING, NOT FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH THIS MAINBOARD)
Seagate V35.5 at 2GB x4
Kingston SSDNow 16GB
ASRock SATA3 Card

I can get the RAM to run at 800mhz and 1.5v, but else the mainboard wont accept both modules at once, wish I had stuck to the recommended list of tested ram modules.

The harddisks are enterprise class designed for video surveillance systems, but they don't cost much more then consumer green drives. However they are more reliable.

I chose a SSD for my system cause I don't trust the life-duration of USB sticks. Might just be me being paranoid.
This cost me an sata port, but I've compensated with an extra SATA card with 2 ports (not tested yet). I went with the 16gb SSD cause it didn't cost much more then the 8GB model, but it will be more useful on a later time if I move to a different setup.

The system itself is virtually silent, and the hdds don't make much noise either. My QNAP 209 makes more noise then this new beast.

Currently I'm struggling with the user setup, for some reason the ftp denies me access - but that's a different matter

[edit]
First transfer speeds via windows7 64bit fileexplorer : Read and write of a 2.08GB br-rip mp4 both 65-70mb/s
As comparison, my Qnap TS-209II does 20mb/s read and 10mb/s write.

headconnect

Explorer
Another good reason for me to stick with the setup :) The ram listed in my setup was the same ram listed in the memory guide from asus (model number difference is down to 8gb paired vs single 4gb in spec). So damn hard finding slow ram in 4gb sticks that doesn't cost your eyeballs though. Anyway, doesn't look like it's affected your cifs performance at least :)

Interesting choice of the ssd for boot, perfect for the case too. Will stick with usb still, but will back up conf often and have a spare stick just in case.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
2 Bohs Hansen: Thanks for feedback! So looks like Zacate is perfect choice!

B

Bohs Hansen

@headconnect: with the SSD, I figured the price difference between a good brand-named USB3 stick and the SSD wasn't that big, and I see the SSD as more useful in the future.

@HolyKiller: Yea, I pushed the build of the NAS for 3 month waiting for the mainboard to get released. And the bonus, when you build a new and better NAS, the mainboard is perfect for a tiny media PC. The GPU has build in BR acceleration and hdmi. win-win :)

Really looking forward to running more test on the system. I don't regret any part of it.

dougoftheabaci

Dabbler
Given that the case we're all talking about has room for an extra SSD drive, is there a way to add one and use it for caching to speed up FreeNAS? A 40 GB SSD isn't all that expensive and it might be worth the price if the speed improvements were enough.

jfr2006

Contributor
Some more detail about this configuration:

In my system (still in tests, waiting for the 2TB samsung HD), with 2 very old 120GB Seagate 7200.7 drives and a WD 2TB, 4GB RAM, I've got:

writing speed over samba: 40MB/s
writing speed over FTP: 50MB/s
Average power consume over the last 65 hours: 32W ;) (transmission was always running!)

Guess i'm needing more memory to speedup things :D

dougoftheabaci

Dabbler
How are you guys measuring power-usage? Is this something that FreeNAS does or are you using something else?

Also, is that 32W 32W/hour or 32W straight? Still amazing either way but it's the difference of 32W total or over 2,000W total. Still less than a single 60W bulb, though. Which is nuts.

jfr2006

Contributor
Hi:

I've a device that measures instantaneous power consume and the total KW/h consumed over time.

My system is now composed by 4 Samsung HD204UI and a WD20EACS in raidz mode. Total power consume is between 35W and 50W (peek power). All running on my compiled version of freenas (FreeNAS-8r6613M-amd64). System speed over Samba is around 80MB/s writing.

Regards

headconnect

Explorer
Order finally placed! Exactly as in primary description, with the exception of the RAM which is (based on Bohs' experience) no longer the XMS3, but kingston modules (which are listed in the same way as the XMS3 on the memory compatability list, don't trust or believe in those things anyway). So 2x4gb KVR1333D3N9K2 it is.

Also ordered another identical (except the disks) system with a Crucial m4 SSD inside for media center/hardware backup purposes :)

B

Bohs Hansen

keep in mind please, to my memory reference. I got the I-Deluxe (mITX) version, the ram compatibility might differ to the M versions. Besides that, enjoy building your new system

headconnect

Explorer
Exactly what I'm going for as well (otherwise wouldn't fit in case now would it ;)). Anyway, I don't presume the memory will behave any differently to be honest, as both our memories are listed (just adjust your model number for pairing, you should find it i think if your xms3 choice is the same as i listed), but i figured i could forego the heatsink of the xms3 for slightly cheaper and different memory in an attempt to find something that performs 'as expected' :)

Of course, right before the order, two necessary but unrelated (to this build) components went out of stock (dustinhome lists them as 1-3 days), and the case went completely out of stock, so ordered two out of five drives from another shop (komplett). Hopefully all parts will arrive mid-end of next week :)

Crispin

Explorer
Interesting read folks because Mr Delivery-Man is about to arrive with my E35M1M PRO. Happy to read that it only uses 8W "idling". My existing NAS uses 160W with no disks :mad:
My only issue with the board is lack of SATA ports / PCIe ports and not having found a PCIe card with 4 SATA ports and dual NIC, I'll have to make do. :rolleyes:

Still, with 5 2TB disks and two SSDs for cache / ZIL, I'm expecting it to be perfectly fast...

enemy85

Guru
Tp-Link TG-3468

Hi everybody,

I've built my first FreeNAS with:

2 SEAGATE HDD 2TB SATAIII 5900RPM 3,5" BARRACUDA LP 64MB ST2000DL003
1 Case iTek nCUBE Mini ITX 200W nero ITMA8989B
1 GEIL 4GB PC3 10660 1333MHz Value Plus 9-9-9 GVP34GB1333C9SC
1 MB Sapphire IPC-E350M1W PURE WHITE FUSION, MINI-ITX MB 52036-01-40G.

At first i wanted to install FreeNAS 7.2.5543 because it was more complete and suitable for my needs, but unfortunately i discovered the MB has a Marvell 88E8059 chip not supported by FreeBSD 7.3 so i tried the FreeNAS 8 but i'm not really convinced about it because of the lacknesses...

I'm thinking of buying a Pci-express NIC card but i want to be sure it will be supported for installing 7.2.5543

Does anybody knows or have tried the Tp-Link TG-3468 Gigabit PCIe Network Adapter?

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/prodetail.aspx?mid=0103031101&id=217

I cannot figure out which kind of chipset it is based on...

thank you for the help

enemy85

Guru
and can u tell me if it is supported or not?

both FreeBSD 7.3 Release and FreeBSD 8.2 please...
thank you

enemy85

Guru
sorry to bother u again....

but are u sure? i can just see

"The re(4) driver supports RealTek RTL8139C+, RTL8169, RTL816xS, RTL811xS, RTL8168, RTL810xE and RTL8111 based Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet adapters including[...]"

so the RTL8168 but not the 8168B....is that the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.