Always adds all drives to boot-pool

RamonS

Cadet
Hello!
Installing a new TrueNAS Core on a plain simple AMD based system that has one SSD (PCIe) and four SATA HDD (3x300GB, 1xTB). On first install I moronically selected to install TrueNAS Core on all drives, which put them all into the boot-pool and left none to be used for other pools. Since I didn't have any data on the drives and didn't configure much I went ahead and did a complete reinstall, this time only selecting the SSD for installation. It still added all drives to boot-pool. I reinstalled again, this time with the SATA controller turned off, but that caused a crash during install. I then enabled the controller again and set all drives to none, a reinstall now showed only the SSD as expected and it completed fine. Upon reboot the HDDs were detected and added again to the boot-pool. It seems as if TrueNAS notices that those HDDs were once part of the boot-pool and happily just adds them back in.

One idea I have is to install something else on the system, format all drives, then install TrueNAS again assuming that any remnant of previous boot-pool disks are overwritten and forgotten. Just seems like a goofy way to do it. Is there anything I can do to not have all drives get included in the boot-pool or remove drives from that pool?

Alecmascot

Guru
I think you can "detach" from the boot-pool
system - boot - actions - boot status

Alecmascot

Guru
I cannot show you as I have only a single boot drive but it should be here :
Screenshot (58).png

RamonS

Cadet
That was very helpful, I was looking at the wrong place. I was able to detach the drives, they became available to create a new pool, all is well! Thank you so much!