Allow smb authentication for www-data

mrchip

Cadet
I'm trying to install nextcloud from a docker container on a different host than my truenas server. In truenas I have created a new user named nextcloud and allowed as member in the www-data group. I created a dataset called nextcloud_data and did an smb share with the owner as the nextcloud user and group as www-data.
When I run the docker the install uses www-data user for installing/setup. When done I get an error about a security risk as users have permissions.

In another post someone said to turn on the "samba authentication" for the www-data user. When I try I get this error "This attribute cannot be changed".

1) Is it okay to allow www-data to have samba authentication? If yes how do I do that?
2) Has anyone had success in running nextcloud from docker in a different host machine and a network shared drive on Truenas? If so could you please share your .yaml, fstab and truenas folder permissions.

Totally unrelated but after reading some other answers to posts asking similar questions to this, let me answer those questions:
1) Why don't you have the data stored in the host machine? That machine is cpu and ram intensive but limited in space. It's dedicated for running VM's. The nas is dedicated for storage.
2) Why don't you use Truenas VM/apps - it has nextcloud avail in it? The machine I've appointed to truenas is storage heavy but not particularly ram/cpu abundant. I would like to reserve the ram & cpu for resources like zfs and not bog it down with vm's & apps