Nextcloud chart: "data" directories: feature or bug?

oguruma

Patron
TL;DR: Nextcloud Official SCALE app: I tried to bind the user data directory and the site file directories to 2 different datasets, but everything ended up mounting to a single dataset.

I'd like to use the official SCALE Nextcloud app, but mount the user data directory (where the user files are stored, which is /var/www/html/data by default) to a different pool/dataset than the site files (/var/www/html).

Reason being is that I'd like the user files to reside on a larger array of spinning rust, and the site files on my smaller SSD array.

In the GUI:
  • I set "data directory" to /mnt/ncstorage/data
  • I set host passthrough for data directory (which is confusing, because it's apparently referring to a different "data directory" than the first reference to "data directory") to /mnt/ssdpool/nextclouddataset
  • I set another host bind from /mnt/ncstorage to /mnt/rustpool/nextclouddataset
The app built, but the user data files are still going to /var/www/html/data (the default, even though I changed it in the GUI).

Is this a bug? Or is it not possible to mount the user data and the site files to different host binds via the GUI?

I suppose I could just let ride with the defaults, and then manually change the config.php/database after the install, but I'd like to be able to do it through the GUI (and possibly uncover a bug, if that's what's happening).

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I think the way it's supposed to be used, is you leave the default data directory alone, and only set the "host volume" data-directory on the next step of the wizard. I.E. that would be /mnt/ncstorage/data

If its still acting weird, I'd suggest tossing us a ticket on https://jira.ixsystems.com so we can investigate.

oguruma

Patron
I think the way it's supposed to be used, is you leave the default data directory alone, and only set the "host volume" data-directory on the next step of the wizard. I.E. that would be /mnt/ncstorage/data

If its still acting weird, I'd suggest tossing us a ticket on https://jira.ixsystems.com so we can investigate.
When the app installs (after completing all of the steps in the GUI) it will install the Nextcloud instance automatically using the parameters set during the GUI.

That would mean it will configure the Nextcloud instance with /var/www/html/data. It completely skips the "create an admin account" and "choose data directory" part of the process. The first time you launch the web portal, you are able to log in with the admin user you created with the SCALE GUI.

Why truecharts didn't just set up the GUI to mimick the standard Docker version (where you can plug in environment variables, and more easily set the host path binds) is beyond me.