After Upgrading from FreeNAS 11-U3 to TrueNAS 12 U1-1

Hey Guys

wondering if anyone can help, I have upgraded my FreeNAS 11 to TrueNAS 12 U1-1, I can no longer get connected to my Virtual Machine which has Rancher/Docker installed on it.

Prior to the upgrade i was able to click on my Portainer link on my desktop and it opened up no problem, but since the upgrade, I can no longer connect to it (it says it is unreachable, even though i can still ping it via the command prompt on PC.

I have checked the Virtual Machine and it is running via the TrueNAS system, i just cant connect to it.

Hopefully one of you could point me in the right direction.

Motherboard - Gigabyte
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Ram - 8GB
Hard Drives - 1 Pool with 3x6TB WD Drives & 1 Pool with 6x2TB WD Drives
Hard Drive Controllers - 2 OnBoard Sata Controllers & 2 x PCI Sata Controllers with 4 Sata Ports on each
Network Cards - OnBoard 1000 Base

hope all that makes sense, any help would be much appreciated

Regards Mike

Screenshot 2021-01-23 19.42.48.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You may need to track this VM during the boot process to see if it's hung up on something. This is easiest from a PuTTY session rather than from the web GUI. Stop the VM using the toggle. Then in the PuTTY session, run cu -l /dev/nmdm1B, which will connect to the VM's console serial port. Start the VM from the toggle, and watch the scrolling text in the PuTTY session. To break out of the serial console, type ~..

Hey Samuel Tai, I will try and give it a go, as i have not used PuTTY that much, i will hopefully update shortly

Hey Samuel

sorry to be a pain, but do I ssh into my virtual machine or to the TrueNAS machine and run that command, as when i try to PuTTy into the virtual machine i get connection refused.

Samuel Tai

Hey Samuel

sorry to be a pain, but do I ssh into my virtual machine or to the TrueNAS machine and run that command, as when i try to PuTTy into the virtual machine i get connection refused.

SSH to the TrueNAS host. Remember you'll need to turn on the SSH service.

adrianwi

Guru
I had a similar problem when I upgraded to 12.0-U1 which was resolved by restarting the NFS service and then restarting the VM. Most of my Docker volumes are stored on a dataset accessed via NFS and it had failed to mount on the first attempt after upgrading.

Hey Guys

I switched all my systems off over night, when i brought them all back up in the morning, everything seems to be running the way it should be.

thanks to everyone for all the help and advice, everything is all good now.

Much Appreciated

Mike

Hi Guys

it's me again with another question, is there a way for me to move my virtual machine from pool to another pool (move vm data from my 3x2TB drives to my 6x2TB), all drives and pools are on the same system.

I am doing some housekeeping and going to remove my smallest pool. The data for my VM is currently located on the smaller pool.

Forgot to mention that I have already moved all my tv shows and films off the small pool to the larger pool.

Kind regards

Mike

ianrm

Dabbler
My 10gb NIC no longer works and the drivers are missing.
I was hoping that v12 might have included the drivers?
Back to building them again.
Ian

Samuel Tai

My 10gb NIC no longer works and the drivers are missing.
I was hoping that v12 might have included the drivers?
Back to building them again.
Ian
The Asus 10G NIC uses the Atlantic driver. This is a beta driver, so it's not loaded by default. To load it, go to System->Tunables, and set a loader tunable if_atlantic_load="YES", and reboot.

Samuel Tai

is there a way for me to move my virtual machine from pool to another pool

Yes, the simplest method is:
  1. The only thing that needs to move is the zvol acting as the virtual disk for the VM. Find the zvol on the source pool, and note its size.
  2. Create a new zvol on the destination pool of the same size in Storage->Pools.
  3. Shut down the VM to quiesce the zvol.
  4. Look in /dev/zvol, via cd /dev/zvol; ls -R. There should be paths corresponding to the source and destination zvols.
  5. Copy the data from the source to the destination: dd if=/dev/zvol/path/to/source/zvol of=/dev/zvol/path/to/destination/zvol status=progress. Don't mix up the order, or you could wipe out the source. Note if is the input file, or the source; and of is the output file, or the destination.
  6. Modify the VM's virtual disk to point to the destination pool's zvol. (All the other VM parameters are stored in the system dataset.)
  7. Start the VM, and confirm it boots properly off the new zvol.
  8. Delete the original zvol from Storage->Pools.

ianrm

Dabbler
The Asus 10G NIC uses the Atlantic driver. This is a beta driver, so it's not loaded by default. To load it, go to System->Tunables, and set a loader tunable if_atlantic_load="YES", and reboot.
Thank you for the information. Instant success.
Ian

Owen_Busler

Cadet

Hey yall, also trying to get my Asus XG-C100C working in TrueNAS (12.0.U.2). Ive tried both the GUI setting via Tunables and manually editing /boot/loader.conf and neither of these get my NIC to appear in network interfaces. I booted ubuntu from USB and it pops right up so its not a hardware issue Any ideas?