After failed reinstall FreeNAS no longer boots

Jayden67

Dabbler
Attempted to fix an error by reinstalling and have made the problem worse (or maybe I should say, created a whole new problem). FreeNAS will no longer boot.

Had FreeNAS 11.3-U1 installed and running for about 6 months with no issues. Had just been using for file storage and was going to log into the UI to install/configure Plex. The login box which I had used many times in the past was not there, only the background image loaded. Tried several computers and several browser, same result so I restarted the server.
After that, the login page wouldn't load at all and the storage was inaccessible. FreeNAS server was showing in the router UI with the static IP assigned, but it took a long time for it to show up. On the monitor there were some WRITE errors (sorry I don't remember the specifics). I looked up the error message and on one thread someone advised reinstalling to try and fix the problem, so I did (what did I have to loose at this point).
During the reinstall, after selecting Boot via BIOS I was shown the following error message:
Code:
gmirror: No such device swap
dd:/dev/da0: Read-only file system FreeNAS installation da0 has failed.

I assumed after that I would just go back and try another troubleshooting step, but now FreeNAS will nolonger boot. Monitor shows "No boot loader".
Tried reinstalling several times and choosing the UEFI option, same result.

What do I need to do to get the installation to work/remove the read-only. Boot drive is Silicon Power 32GB USB2.

Redcoat

MVP
I suspect that your boot drive has died. Suggest you get a new one and reinstall, then reload your config (if you saved one...).

Jayden67

Dabbler
Thanks, I'll do that. No saved config unfortunately.

Redcoat

MVP

Jayden67

Dabbler
Thanks for letting me know how to access the config. I didn't have many settings configured and just redid everything from scratch (imported data pools and reinstalled Plex).

Jayden67

Dabbler
It happened again!!!
After waiting almost a month for my new USB drive to ship and taking the time to re-configure FreeNAS, I'm seeing the same error that led me here in the first place. This time I wrote down the error message on the console and haven't tried restarting/reinstalling:

(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 00 36 05 21 00 00 80 00
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: CCBrequest completed with an error
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying command

This message repeats then displays:
Error 5, Retries exhausted

This sequence of messages continually repeats. The hex number in the first line changes slightly.

Here's the situation:
  • FreeNAS web GUI inaccessible (by IP and freenas.local)
  • Network shares accessible by only 1 Windows machine (which hasn't been restarted since configuring FreeNAS)
  • Plex streaming still works
  • FreeNAS (and Plex jail) IP shows in router GUI
What troubleshooting can I do to resolve this problem?